General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By jred
#187953 how can i tell if my car has LSD, its an Auto B16a eg9 sedan, does that come LSD? its an SiR
By teal_dx
#188100 lift up the car. If the axles are out and you can look and see all the way through the tranny where the axles go, you have LSD diff. Also with the car jacked up, spin one front wheel by hand. If the other wheel spins the opposite way, you do not have LSD. If both wheels spin the same direction you have a limited slip.
Those are the usual ways to tell, although I've heard of the spinning wheel test not be true for some people.

I've also heard of a non limited slip tranny leaving 2 burn out marks when the owner dropped the clutch... so that may not be a sure way to tell.
By forcefedEG
teal_dx wrote:lift up the car. If the axles are out and you can look and see all the way through the tranny where the axles go, you have LSD diff.

thats the sure fire way to tell
By d-mon
#188217 if its a factory LSD trans, it will be clearly stamped:
but you can drop an LSD into another ex/si trans.
if you look though the axle holes, you can see there is no pin.
but the 'two wheel peel' is the easiest way, if it's in the car.
By B18cDelSlo
teal_dx wrote:
I've also heard of a non limited slip tranny leaving 2 burn out marks when the owner dropped the clutch... so that may not be a sure way to tell.

That is true, my tranny is non-lsd and smokes both tires like no tomorrow.
By jred
#188230 you mean the nutral-gas-drive method....but doesn't that fcuk up your trany? and mounts? :shock:
By d-mon
#188258 yeah, if your tires are wet also, they can both spin too so its not absolute.
By proj3kt X
d-mon wrote:yeah, if your tires are wet also, they can both spin too so its not absolute.
that doesn't mean anything u can spin both tires with a single cam if pavement is wet.
By JUICE
proj3kt X wrote:
d-mon wrote:yeah, if your tires are wet also, they can both spin too so its not absolute.
that doesn't mean anything u can spin both tires with a single cam if pavement is wet.

that's what he said. :lol:

back to OP...

If the tranny is out the car......

If its installed, its pending what kind of LSD as to whether both fronts will turn when jacked up like stated above.. I had a friend with a for sure stock DX tranny that did some wicked 2 wheel burnouts. :lol:

your trans being an auto... i strongly doubt it has LSD, but who knows..
By forcefedEG
#188590 i will also say i doubt your auto trans came with a lsd, and i will also say not all lsd's look the same looking down through them depening on weather its oem, or aftermarket, and depening on aftermarket brand...