General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By Gerisszon
#186791 Hiya to everybody!

What I've got is an auto civic eg5 (D16Z6 engine). Now I want to take off the auto gearbox completely from my engine and put the manual on. Has anyone done this before? I can only put on the exact D16Z6 tranny or any D series one will fit as well?

Anyone who knows about it share with me please!

Thanks very much indeed!

Gary from Scotland. :cheers:
By Classiccarsrule85
#186800 What you would be looking to do im guessing is make your auto a 5sp??.....

Well any D series hydro trans will bolt right into your civic so 92 up to 00 i do beleive would be what you are looking for....

Now this is only a breif parts list of what you would need for the 5spd swap over it will be a bit involved but i think itd be worth it....

Transmission any 5spd but to be honest the Z6/Y8 transmissions have shorter gear ratios and accell better than that of others....
Clutch hydro lines
clutch master and slave cyl
-flywheel clutch shift linkage
pedal assembly for a 5spd...
Mounts like the rear T bracket front trans mount and depending on what you use the mount on the transmission....
now you can eitehr do one of two things make it a true 5spd.....as in drill off your auto trans mount thats onthe frame rail and have the 5spd one welded in.....

or get a auto to manual mount that will position the 5spd transmission in the correct area using the auto mount on the chassis....
By Gerisszon
#186803 Well thanks very much indeed! Other question: do I need any modification to the ECU? I won't need that manual ECU? I looked at the Z6/Y8 tranny. Is that the D16Z6's gearbox?

Cheers mate!
By Classiccarsrule85
Gerisszon wrote:Well thanks very much indeed! Other question: do I need any modification to the ECU? I won't need that manual ECU? I looked at the Z6/Y8 tranny. Is that the D16Z6's gearbox?

Cheers mate!

you can either do the DIY P28 auto to manual conversion in are DIY sectio or you willl need a manual ecu or you will throw a check engine light there are some other things that you will need to overcome but like i said that wasnt everything......

and the D16z6 and D16y8 gearbox's(or transmissions) are very similar the setup and mounts are somewhat different but both will work and are very benificial to using on a D series motor.....
By teal_dx
#186975 in addition to the conversion mount, you will need the rear mount as well from a manual car.
Also some minor things:
Manual flywheel bolts (longer than your auto bolts)
New Pilot bearing for flywheel
New throwout/release bearing for tranny

And you will definitely need a manual starter to fit the manual transmission :thumb:

I recommend the lower front tranny mount too if your other mounts are oem.
By forcefedEG
teal_dx wrote:And you will definitely need a manual starter to fit the manual transmission

ive used auto starters on manuals before and not had a problem :? i will say i know you cannot use manual starters in an auto :lol:
By teal_dx
#187230 On D series motors? It's been a while but I could swear there was something about the castings being different where they mount.
Or maybe it was the bolts? :?
By forcefedEG
#187235 well i know a boy that his starter wen out on his 5spd dx... and when we went to match his starter up it came up as an auto car (he replaced his trans with a ex trans and used the starter that came on it wich was the mitsuba), but there are 3 diff types from what i remeber, a nippendenso, a mitsuba and a hitachi, if i remember right the nipp. is manual only and will not work on an auto, i know that for a fact, my friend has a trans with a busted case to prove it, and the hitachi is auto only and i think the mitsuba, wich is what the boy i know had will work on both, but dont hold me to this, i work at a parts store part time, and the autos came with 2 types of starters the mitsuba and hitachi, i dnt believe the mitsuba came on manual cars originally but it will work, the mitsuba looks alot like the later model b series starters (looks like a high torque mini starter) and the nipp. looks like a early b series starter, the mitsuba and hitachi look alot alike.... just minor differences, the bendix is too long on the nipp. to clear a auto case on the inside, but the hitachi and mitsuba, are like i siad a a "high torque" looking starter with a shorter bendix that seems to be able to clear both.... this is what ive found of this from what i messed with
By JDM-EG
#188331 beside doing a DIY p28 auto to manual or get a manual ECU
get bac ur auto gbox solenoid n connect bac to the connector n tie it somewhere around,u can disable the CEL light~