General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 99cx
#181970 just had a quick question about how hard and how long it would take to replace a tranny in an EG with a swapped B16 and i think a B18 tranny.
just like the difficulty level and is it possible to be done in a day?
By chrono404
#182005 Depends on how you do it. You can pull engine/tranny reconnect them then drop them back in.

Or you could just suspend the engine, unhook the tranny and pull it out then lift a replacement into place.

I would personally pull engine/tranny as its easier to connect the engine/tranny when they are out of the car. I have all the tools to easily pull and drop engines though(Cherry picker, engine leveler) If you dont have the correct tools just dropping the transmission is probably the better idea.

Make sure you disconnect your eletrical plugs, Your Speed Sensor and your Back up Plug. If one of them gets pulled out you will have to get new plugs and solder them in. Its no fun.

If you have all the tools it can be done in one day. I know I have done it in the past.
By 99cx
#182029 yeah thats the thing. i dont have the tools to lift up the engine.
arent you able to unbolt the tanny then lift up the car and the tranny stays behind?
By teal_dx
#182032 I did it that way when I swapped my EK's tranny: http://civic-hx.6thgearadvertising.com/

As mentioned above, the hardest part will be connecting the engine and tranny back together with the engine in the car.
I did it by myself with no picker & lots of swearing :lol:
By forcefedEG
99cx wrote:yeah thats the thing. i dont have the tools to lift up the engine.
arent you able to unbolt the tanny then lift up the car and the tranny stays behind?

i dont belive that will work out, all you really need to do is have a jack and jackstands, put the car on the stands and use the jack to raise and lower the engine...

put the jack under the engine, use a block of wood between the jack and oil pan. remove the trans mount, unbolt the T bracket on the back, remove the starter and both axles and shift linkage. remove the 17mm bell housing bolts and the 2 19mm in the T bracket, if possible competely remove the T bracket, if not work around it, it can be left in place. un hook any grounds and un plug your speed sensor, and slowly lower the jack so the pass side starts to tilt downward and the trans should drop right out no problem... this can be done in about 2 to 3 hours depending on your ability and if you have help or not...

id recomend draining the trans oil before you start doin anything, this will avoid a later mess :thumb: learned that from expericne
By suspendedHatch
#182533 No.. don't pull the whole engine for a tranny swap. That's ridiculous.

You're not going to get it done in one day unless you have a lift, air tools, and you just happen to have the particular tools needed ie a pin punch, a 17mm 12 point, a 10mm 12 point, 32mm socket, a tool to prevent the crank from rotating, a ball joint remover, tranny jack, etc. And if you've done it before.

Go to Honda hookup and download the Helms. Print the pages for tranny removal and reinstallation, as well as the sections it refers to for popping axles etc. Read through it and purchase the necessary tools. Wait for a three day weekend and arrange a ride just in case.
By forcefedEG
suspendedHatch wrote:No.. don't pull the whole engine for a tranny swap. That's ridiculous.

agreed x2 :lol: