General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By civic94ex
#179735 94 ex coupe 5spd, in the manual it says the that tranny takes 10w30 or 10w40 motor oil, but ive read that you can put the pennzoil synchromesh stuff in there and it will work better that just oil, anyone know if its true? thanx
By JUICE
#179738 I think if i would have used it....

I currently wouldn't be in the market for a Hydro B.... :x

I've heard the stuff helps tremendous. It will DEFINITELY be going into my next tranny.

btw.. this belongs in the TRANSMISSION section :roll: it'll get moved
By civic94ex
#179745 Ok sweet thanx alot, and my bad bout puttin it here
By chrono404
#179751 Penzoil/gm sychro mesh is awesome stuff, If you have any snychro knicks when shifting it will stop it.

If you know you will be driving hard on your transmission make sure to put it in. its not cheap, but so much more cheaper then having to rebuild your transmission or get a new one.

btw moving to transmission thread.
By JUICE
#179752 just don't pull a super noob move and make an identical thread in that section :lol: :lol:

but ya. whats f^$#d up about it is my buddy was just tellin me Thurs night to put in that stuff to help the "kink" i was gettin at high rpm's into 3rd. then it took a shit on Saturday... :x
By civic94ex
JUICE wrote:just don't pull a super noob move and make an identical thread in that section :lol: :lol:

but ya. whats f^$#d up about it is my buddy was just tellin me Thurs night to put in that stuff to help the "kink" i was gettin at high rpm's into 3rd. then it took a shit on Saturday... :x

Damn dude, that sucks!!
By JUICE
#183976 and after all that.....

I went to Honda today and picked up 3 quarts of good 'ole OEM MTF.....
After MUCH research, I think its best...

btw.. Its goin in my new GSR tranny w/ LSD :woot: :woot:
By suspendedHatch
#184075 Torco is purportedly the best. That's coming from MFactory and some others and I trust them over what's popular on forums.
By civic94ex
JUICE wrote:btw.. Its goin in my new GSR tranny w/ LSD :woot: :woot:

NICE!!!!
By That One Dude
#186522 MFactory says Torco is the best for their helical LSD. For an OEM transmission and OEM LSD, OEM MTF2 is the best option. Hands down.

The Honda transmissions have an internal oil pump that is designed to work with transmission oil that is roughly the same viscosity as 10W-30 synthetic engine oil, but with an anti-foaming additive. The Synchromesh is significantly thicker than 10W-30. Using a thicker oil in your transmission can potentially ruin the bearings, synchros, gears, and differential because the oil pump can't handle the super high viscosity of the Synchromesh as compared to the Honda MTF2.

You can use Mobil1 or any other synthetic engine oil in 10W-30 fashion.

My advice, use OEM parts, and OEM fluids with said OEM parts. Especially in something so critical as a transmission.