General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By JUICE
#179558 well....

the drag strip opened today. was on my first pass and on pace to run a new best time when she decided 3rd gear wasn't goin down.....

went to throw third and got the worst grind EVER. finally got it in but the race was fucked so just made the short turn around just past the stripe. coasting, i went to put it in 2nd and had to wrestle it to go in and wrestle it to get out.

1-3-4-5-R are alright but dont seem as smooth as they were yesterday... 2nd is a wrestling match to get in and out. a kid at the track who is a honda "tech" said it was "fucked" and advised to just get another tranny..

What you guys think?

I guess i'm in the market for a hydro B..... FUCK! :x :x :x
Last edited by JUICE on Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
By chrono404
#179592 2nd is common to go out especially when being raced on.

you can replace second gear, but can buy a gsr transmission for what it will cost.

You can try penzoil synchro mesh, that stuff is awesome. It wont fix the damage you already have, but it will help the gear changes. The stuff isn't cheap though.

Since your boosting I would say just get a GSR Transmission.
By JUICE
#179702 thats what i figured...

there's a GSR on the local forum for $450obo. says it shifts smooth but has 125k. so who know how long that would last and it probably has more than 125k on it.... i got a couple friends lookin around for me, hopefully something comes up thats legit and cheap..
By JUICE
#185234 so, I picked up a GSR w/LSD. got the tranny in today and it too has a high RPM "kink" into third. :x

other than that its bad ass. The LSD is quiet and works QUITE well. lol. and 2nd gears "pull" is so much better than with the LS tranny...

so next week it'll be coming back out and getting a fresh rebuild. 8)

It shouldn't be anymore than what i was quoted for the LS re-build, right? (since it has LSD)

ALSO!

when filling the tranny it was completely full after 2 quarts of MTF.. I even checked it again after taking it around the block, and was still full. I'm almost positive all that was in there was completely drained out, but it's supposed to hold like 2.2-2.4 quarts.. does the LSD affect this??
By JUICE
#186605 the GSR tranny is back out and getting a fresh rebuild this weekend 8)

it'll be kinda weird to have a tranny that doesn't grind 3rd.... I'm gonna baby the fuck out of 2-3 shifts when gettin on it :lol:

seriously. this tranny, my last tranny, my buddies stock CRX, my buddies DX hatch, and a friends DA, are all just cars i've recently driven that have the high rpm 3rd gear kink. there's even a B18c swap on my local forum with paperwork from hmotors and only 50k, and has a 3rd gear grind :x
By JUICE
#187762 The tranny will be back from the rebuild tomorrow :woot:

since i got a seriously hooked price, i went ahead and did a complete rebuild. all new synchros, copper, seals, and i'm pretty sure he said something about some bearings too. can't wait to get it back in. If it gets dropped off early, she might be up and running tomorrow night :D