General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By 93hbdx
#150116 Could someone tell me why my shifter is still loose when its in gear?> I was told it was the shifter linkage and have the rubber linkage but do not see how this is going to stop it from being loose.
By Lt.DudeEJ1
#150120 mine did the same thing but it would move like 7 inches side to side when in gear i took it to my cousin and he went under the car and just tightened a bolt or clip or something where the shifter comes out and its fine now. Im still a noob and i promise someone else can help u more than me but if ur more mechanicaly adept than me u may know what im talking about lol

hope i helped in some way
By Classiccarsrule85
#150125 it could be a worn bushing(s) id suggest upgrading to the polyurethane bushings from energy suspension it tightened up my shifter quite a bit...
By 93hbdx
#150209 Yea it moves back and forth when in gear.

I got the bushings from energy suspension I just got to looking and wasn't sure if that would actually fix anything.
By Classiccarsrule85
#150216 well if what you have on the car are the original bushings just think of how many years how many shifts the car has gone through in its years....im almost certain its going to be a worn bushing though there will still be a little play but not as much as you are describing.....
By 93hbdx
#150241 Ok The kit that I had from energy suspension was the shifter stabilizer. I already installed it and as I thought, It didnt help anything. When the car is in gear it still moves like its in neutral. I really need to fix it because it is pissing me off!!
By PandaHatch
#150266 jacl car up then where the shifter comes thru the floor there is a nut and bolt. tichten it and thread lock it if you want. or use a lock washer. My nut came off one time and I luckily caught it tightend it all up and shifter was crisper than ever
By 93hbdx
#150289 Ok I will try that!!