General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By fuhq2man
#148321 I am thinking about swapping for a D16Z6, What would be good auto transmission to use with that, that could support about 400whp, is it possible if not what would be a safe limit. Also When naming a transmission please try and include makes, models, they are in so i know what to look for at the junkyard.
By teal_dx
#148323 The only auto tranny that will bolt to a D16 is from a D16. You're not going to find an auto D16 tranny in a junk yard that can handle 400 HP.

You've been asking about this in some of your other posts... What are your plans for this car? 400 WHP from a D16 can be done a lot easier in a B series and a 5 speed tranny will put that power to the wheels more effeciently and cheaper than a custom built auto tranny to handle 400 WHP. You'd have to boost the hell out of the D16 to reach 400 HP and then reliability becomes a big issue.
By fuhq2man
#148324 i Am just exploring some different options, it is clear that I cannot keep my auto trans if I want to push the limits. That was more of a comfort thing for my old lady. anyways what my plans are for this civic is to ultimately turn it into a vette killer!!
By tigerafro
#148341 teal is right.

i hear auto trannys can only hold up to 200ish hp anyways. if you really wanted to boost an auto go b series but its best to go 5 speed.

also to hit 400 hp your going to need a pretty big turbo. prob t3/t4? super 60 or something like that. i don't really think you know what you're getting youself into.