General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By dipdawg
#136950 I just got done replacing the bearings in my trans and put it back together started torquing it down and the torque wrench never clicked and my trans housing broke im so pissed can you swap the internals into any d series trans just wondering because i found a trans off a d15 for cheap
By dipdawg
#137013 ok thanks i got lucky im going to pick a s20 for 50 dollars tonight
By chrono404
dipdawg wrote:ok thanks i got lucky im going to pick a s20 for 50 dollars tonight

all the s20 means it came out of a 92-95 Civic.
The casting code on the side of the transmission will have a B000 if its an EX/Si Tranny, If its a DX/LX or CX/VX it will have a A000.

Make sure you can spin the transmission with the input shaft and use a screw driver and you should be able to shift through the gears quite easily with the shift rod. If you cant do this that means the transmission is probally bad, and/or put together incorrectly.
By dipdawg
#137329 alright thanks man i just put the good housing on mine i just put new bearings in mine the trans i bought has bad bearings but the gears and everything are good im going to keep it for parts hopefully i can get my car back together tonight still have to find a new oil pan
By dipdawg
#137386 well i just have a few last things to put on and i painted my valve cover ill take some pics tomorrow i must say ive never worked on a trans before but the whole thing was very easy with a little help from my uncle who does it everyday so if you have common sense and work on your car often you can do it
By dipdawg
#138845 got it back in and it will only go into first and second gear idk what could be wrong
By chrono404
#138863 You didn't line the shift forks up correctly when you put the clusters back in. Its not the easiest thing to do.

As much as its going to suck, You will have to take your transmission back out and fix whats wrong.

REINSTALL GEAR CLUSTER
1) Put Main and Countershaft back together on the shift arms.
2) Place the Shifter arms so that 5,R and 3,4 are in Neutral then Have 1,2 set for 1 (so it would be at its lowest point) It should look like "First Gear Engaged in the Picture above.
3) Place the shifter knuckle into First Gear(i.e. Farthest Right position, pointing up.)
4) Push the clusters down into place and everything should line itself up.
5) If it went in correctly, your lowering shifting ball/mechanism is the gear shifter line. If not take off the cluster assembly and redo it until it is. Once Done Then Proceed to #6)

Copy/Pasted from the "DIY - Transmission Rebuilding and You!" Article
By dipdawg
#138889 damn thanks for the help man it just sucks because i have surgeory on friday and no time to work on it how much do you think a trans shop would charge
By Ajax1989
dipdawg wrote:damn thanks for the help man it just sucks because i have surgeory on friday and no time to work on it how much do you think a trans shop would charge

an arm and a leg
By dipdawg
#139052 yea they wanted $400 and that was with me pulling the trans out im gonna try to get it out tonight and this school by my house is gonna do it for $5 since i will be down for a few weeks
By Ajax1989
dipdawg wrote:yea they wanted $400 and that was with me pulling the trans out im gonna try to get it out tonight and this school by my house is gonna do it for $5 since i will be down for a few weeks

there you go.. but aheads up bout takin it to a school
there a learning place so if there could be a chance they might mess it up
but most of the time the teacher will make sure they do it rite!
i know this cause i go to a mechainc skool

good luck wit it man :thumb:
By dipdawg
#139078 yea thanks for the help guys ill let you know how it goes and yea you have to becarefull with those schools my uncle went to the school and the teacher said he has gonna be working one on one with the guy who is doing it because he just started the transmissions class so i hope the get it right i wish i had more time
By dipdawg
#145766 well just got everything back together at least i thought i did i forgot to bolt the top exhaust to the manifold lol so it was loud but worked fine 5th was kinda hard coming out of it might just need to be shifted some