General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By bren94cx
#127263 whats up guys? its been a while
well i got a random question for you all and any advise would be helpful.
i got a new tranny for my hatch.. and i wanna kno, whats the easiest way to pull the tranny that i got in there now?
obviously when i did the swap i just bolted it to my engine and put it in but i really dont feel like pulling the whole engine out again...
is there a way i can just like "tip" the engine enough to where i can get it out?
also any advise on this would be helpful for clutch jobs right??

help me out guys
:cry:
By chrono404
#127289 What i have done is to lift up the whole car and have 2-2.5feet of work room under the car. I then undo tranny stuff, i.e. Axles, bitch pin, VSS/Reverse Wires etc. Put a chain around the engine to hold it in place then attach to celling of work area or engine hoist, Unbolt the tranny exceot for 1(or 2) bolt(s) on the top, Lower the engine chain so the transmission end will dip down, Get under the transmission and drop the transmission on to my chest then have someone up top take the last bolts out, then swivel it over to a peice of cardboard or a dolly or something and pull it out from under the car.

This is the easiest way to pull out Transmissions that I have come across.
Putting the transmission in I find it easiest to get it next to me and roll it on top of me, then bench press it up where me and a second helper push/pull it into the clutch assembly, It will take a few attempts and wiggling to get it to go in just right.

Other tips are when you put the new tranny in place to just take out the speed sensor and put in 1.9(or do 2 like I always do) of Transmission Fluid or Motor Oil. I have used 10w-30 and srynhromesh on various swaps. if your tranny shifts fine just put in some 10w-30 motor oil and it will work just fine, Even in cold climates such as Washington State, USA

As with anything there are a million ways to pull transmissions, If you want to paint or clean your engine bay then I would recommend Pulling engine/tranny. If you just need to swap trannys/clutch just pull the tranny.

Also recommend upgrading clutch while you are here anyways. I put in a XTD Stage 3 clutch as my 3 Month old OEM style clutch was already slipping under Nitrous loud. the XTD Stage 3 clutch works awesome and never slipped under power loud for me.

Good luck :thumb:
By bren94cx
#127640 hahahaha ya thats basically how i did my complete swap. i jacked the front of the car up as high as my 2 floor jacks would go and i used a motorcycle lift to jack the engine up from under it..

alsooo i was looking into the xtd stage 3... theres alot of debate over them weither or not its worth it?
plus the whole 8lb vs. 12lb flywheel....?
By Lowkei
#127672 You guys need a friend with a lift.....Good stuff man!!!