General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By waynlewis
#123113 Posted this as a reply, but wanted to put it in the right section....

how would the transmission cause or add to this type of problem? this similiar thing happen to my 95 auto civic, that my stepdaugther drives around, yesterday. she said it was driving fine 1min and then started sputtering and she wasn't able to go too fast or over 40ish, then it stalled out. she was able to pull into a parking lot, waited awhile then started the car right back up, drove some more and then sputtered and died again. when i got there i started it right up and drove back into the lot and let it idle until it died a sputtering death. i thought it could be the usual culprits, clogged filter, plugs, wire, pump, iacv or tps. but when i checked the tranny fluid, there was practically none. so i added 1.5qts, let it sit for awhile and started it back up and let it idle for about 15mins, still surging a little before i drove around the lot. it moved and drove with a little hesitation, but still sputtered, idle surging and stalled out when i parked it. i managed to change the plugs and wire, and got a new filter to change later today, and also poured seafoam into the tank thinking either the filter was clogged or it was some bad gas.... been raining alot down here in south FL and the area does flood abit and water could get into the gas station tanks. not to damage anything further, i had the car towed home, and then drove it, with hesitating, into the driveway. it feelings like the car isn't getting the right amount of gas to go or keep a steady idle, like the filter is clogged or the pump is not pumping right.
could something electrical on the transmission be causing this? also, the speedometer stopped working and that's happened before, but i checked some connections on the tranny and it started working again. i swapped out the cluster for one that has the tach on it about 3months ago and that when it happened before.
sorry for the long read, but wanted to give as much info as i could.
By waynlewis
#123127 also, is there a crank or camshaft sensor that can be checked as a cause?

thnx.
By suspendedHatch
#123308 It doesn't sound at all like a transmission problem. You mentioned a VSS problem and that's where'd I'd start because that would fit your symptoms.

The sensors you mentioned in your reply are both found in the distributor.
By waynlewis
#123673 Thanks for the info, and no check engine light came on but i checked for codes anyway and still found none. I picked up a fuel pressure tester yesterday and will test the pump, also picked up a new fuel filter. I have a spare VSS that came off on Accord tranny, not sure if their the same or not but we'll see.
By waynlewis
suspendedHatch wrote:It doesn't sound at all like a transmission problem. You mentioned a VSS problem and that's where'd I'd start because that would fit your symptoms.

The sensors you mentioned in your reply are both found in the distributor.

I found the problem, it was the connector to the VSS. The previous owner or whoever replaced the oem connector with just regular plug-on ones. I'll visit the jy on the weekend and look for one and I'll cut extra wire. But I'll also replace the fuel filter since I already bought it.

Thanks for the advice.
By teal_dx
#125425 I didn't think that a bad VSS connection could cause that kind of problems, as I have driven my civic after forgetting to plug it back in one time and it was fine.
Then I realized that your car was auto and the ECU must use the signal from the VSS to determine speed and control the automatic tranny shifting. Manuals must not use that signal in the same way, just for the cluster.

Glad you got it fixed :woot: