General tranny info covering all models & motors.
By BLaCkSiLo
#121738 alright, so i got a new clutch from clutchmasters about a year ago (10k miles) and these have been all N/A miles with a few track days but the car it putting down a whopping 94whp...

i'm tearing out the motor in the next couple of weeks and *eventually* going to be turbo at ~250-300whp / ~180-200wtq......

question: will my stage 1 exedy hold the torque of the boosted motor? i really really don't want to have to tear down and replace the clutch right after the engine. Thanks! :?
By Ajax1989
#121773 i would get a stage 2 clutch just be on the safer side

i used to have a exdey stage 1 clutch and it was fine but i only had bolt-ons
By BLaCkSiLo
94_jdm_ferio wrote:i would get a stage 2 clutch just be on the safer side

i used to have a exdey stage 1 clutch and it was fine but i only had bolt-ons

yeah well that's what i have now...is a stock z6 with I/H/E, it's not even an issue but i guess i was wondering what the clamping force is for the stage one? if it's 200wtq i think i would be fine? :?

*edit: oh it holds a 50 shot of nitrous just fine.....
By Ajax1989
#121778 have you tried goin to the exedy website and try to find some specs, maybe they'll be on there :thumb:
By Ajax1989
EXEDY organic racing clutches only use premium friction materials that are resistant to slippage and burst. Increased clamp loads give the necessary capacity to handle modified engines. This is the preferred clutch for street and light horsepower track use. Driveability is similar to the stock clutch. Pedal efforts will be slightly higher because of the higher clamp loads. All of our clutch discs have spring center dampers to reduce drivetrain shock

this is off the exedy page bout the stage 1 clutch

EXEDY cerametallic clutches are designed to handle the abuse of high powered modified engines. Our cerametallic friction material can handle much more slippage than stock type disc assemblies without slipping and fading. All cerametallic discs feature spring center dampers to reduce impact and shock loads.

this is the stage 2
Last edited by Ajax1989 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BLaCkSiLo
94_jdm_ferio wrote:have you tried goin to the exedy website and try to find some specs, maybe they'll be on there :thumb:

yeah i searched around but i guess i might be retarded? i will look, just hoping to see if someone round these parts knew....
By Ajax1989
#121785 there is some shit i found on there website above your last post
By Sentry
#121803 Alternatively:
http://lsdmotorsports.com/merchant2/mer ... r=AC,HO,SS
Or if you'd prefer a disc:

I've ordered this one since my clutch is getting pretty damn soggy under boost. Haven't gotten it yet:
By BLaCkSiLo
#122124 yeah i was looking at those but they don't actually say what the torque rating is for the stage 1. yeah it says it can handle a modified engine but who the hell knows what that is....

i figure if i'm making ~250whp, i'll be making like ~180wtq so..... i just don't know cause ive heard of people with stage 3, 4's slipping with that kind of hp.

thanks for the assistance....you said that yours is getting soggy under boost? what are you running right now?
By egsedanguy
#122135 i say if your going to get a motor with 250 plus hp, befor you put it in just pull the tranny off and put in a nice stage 2 or 3 clutch. i have been told that the stage 1 is almost the same as a stock. so rather than putting in the stage 1 witch i know will still work, but i dont think you want to put it in and 10,000 miles later it need to be replace and the have to do agin. but it my 2cents.
By Sentry
BLaCkSiLo wrote:yeah i was looking at those but they don't actually say what the torque rating is for the stage 1. yeah it says it can handle a modified engine but who the hell knows what that is....

i figure if i'm making ~250whp, i'll be making like ~180wtq so..... i just don't know cause ive heard of people with stage 3, 4's slipping with that kind of hp.

thanks for the assistance....you said that yours is getting soggy under boost? what are you running right now?

Err, stock. :lol:

It was replaced just 20,000 km ago.

Also they all say what torque capacity the kit has on the item page.

I'm running a GReddy kit on 11 psi. It's totally drivable and holds alright in first and second, but third it starts to slip in the upper RPMs and fourth it starts slipping at like 4500. :(
By Ajax1989
#122297 no problem man, you got any pics of the turbo build?
By BLaCkSiLo
#122306 naw, not yet... i'm just trying to get the bottom end built and stuffed back in the car and driving NA, then plan out the rest of it... i still got to get it out, strip it down, machine it, get my parts, re-build it, get the head studs and port the oil pump, then get it back in... hope nothing fouls up on me

so far i have accumulated: pillar pod with oil press, water temp, boost, a/f, maybe oil temp, complete gasket kit, acl rod bearings, gm 3 bar map sensor, oil filter sandwich, arm rest console, shift boot (type r), shift knob, optional audio console, door rubber and some various seals :thumb:

just like the random stuff i'm going to be needing, i'm pretty much replacing the whole center console, adding the optional audio, replacing the cup holders with the diy here on the site...it's a clusterfuck right now :lol:

i'm in an epic battle in my head if i want A/C or not....it's really really hard cause a/c would be nice when the woman is riding and we are on a road trip when it's hot and wants ac, but a ramhorn mani with the wastegate in all the runners is what i want... which sticks out in place of the condensor and clogs the pump
By Ajax1989
#122313 nice, oh shit that sucks, i wish i even had ac, i can get the ac off a 89 crx but idk if it fits, but ya i know what you mean, you want it too look nice under the hood, but at the same time you want the ac..lol