N/A build discussion
By SloEG
#113294 Whats up guys im alil new at single cams i got a ZC single and am wantin to make a strong little motor to put in my girlfriends car. Just wonderin if anyone knew what pistons to run. I got a Y8 head that i pain on gettin a cam and gear. If anyone has anything else to add to the wish list im hear to learn lol Thanks :woot:
By chrono404
#113302 Wishlist for N/A power?

>-Skunk2 Intake Manifold, This is basically a Replica Integra Type-R Manifold made to fit other engines, I love it.
>-Hondata Intake Manifold Gasket.
>-Obviously I/H/E.
>-Stage 2 Cam
>-Skunk2 Valve Springs
>-88-91 CRX Si Axles, Unlike your D Series axles, these have an intermediate shaft and 2 short even length "half" shafts to get no torque Steer, Similar to B Series setups.
>-Ex/Si/JDM D15b Transmission with LSD.
By Classiccarsrule85
#113325 well if I was looking to rebuild a bit for a good sized streetable n/w power build id use the P29 pistons that came outa the Dohc ZC its a domed piston and gives ya some good compression.....or if you dont want that much compression id use pistons from the D16a1 the integra d series 1gen dohc zc thing....i think they also came in 1st gen crx's and that year civics possibly as well....

And If you really want it to be a safe build id think about upgrading the rods

-ARP hardware all around definately the headstuds

-and just do a total revamp to the motor like im doing timing belt water pump new oil pump gaskets galore....stuff like that...
By SloEG
#113340 Thanks all of that does help, i got a SI tranny and a p28 just been gettin stuff ready. Will it run on pump gas with those pistons? Im really just workin on the bottom end right now. Thanks for the help im glad i found this site and people that know whats goin on :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#113346 it might be better if you used higher octane like 93 or somethign with the P29's i think the D16a1s should give you the best results without sacrificing cost in fuel since they tend to lower compression in the dohc zc's with p29's but not too much so yea best bet would maybe go with the D16a1's pistons but not completely sure if anything id go to d-series.org to get that question sorted out since its all about the d series which in this case includes the zc
By chrono404
#113409 I have been playing withcompression calculators, A stock ZC bottom end with a y8 Head would give you a compression Ratio of 12.64:1 I Dont think 92/93 Octane would be good enough to stop detonation.

However if you use D16a6 Pistons, and a y8 head it will give you a much much more pump gas friendly 10.34:1. A6 pistons are probably the best pistons to go with. If you dont want to do a complete rebuild I would recommend just swapping in the DOHC ZC in, That or sell it and get a D16a6.

The best overall minime IMO would be a D16a6 Bottom end and a D16z6 or D16y8 Head.
By Greasedmonkey
chrono404 wrote:I have been playing withcompression calculators, A stock ZC bottom end with a y8 Head would give you a compression Ratio of 12.64:1 I Dont think 92/93 Octane would be good enough to stop detonation.

However if you use D16a6 Pistons, and a y8 head it will give you a much much more pump gas friendly 10.34:1. A6 pistons are probably the best pistons to go with. If you dont want to do a complete rebuild I would recommend just swapping in the DOHC ZC in, That or sell it and get a D16a6.

The best overall minime IMO would be a D16a6 Bottom end and a D16z6 or D16y8 Head.

you can get that to run with 93. Mine will be 12.7:1. You will just have to get a great tune. You can use the stock d16a6 head gasket and it will lower the comp. or you can just get a thicker cometic gasket for a y8/z6 motor.
By BLaCkSiLo
chrono404 wrote:Wishlist for N/A power?

>-Skunk2 Intake Manifold, This is basically a Replica Integra Type-R Manifold made to fit other engines, I love it.
>-Obviously I/H/E.
>-Stage 2 Cam
>-Skunk2 Valve Springs
>-88-91 CRX Si Axles, Unlike your D Series axles, these have an intermediate shaft and 2 short even length "half" shafts to get no torque Steer, Similar to B Series setups.

wow, sorry to bring up a old topic but this really intrigued me as i'm going to be pushing some serious power and i already get mad torque steer.... are they just a drop in replacement for EG's? i have the z6 so different trannys?
By chrono404
BLaCkSiLo wrote:
chrono404 wrote:Wishlist for N/A power?

>-Obviously I/H/E.
>-Stage 2 Cam
>-Skunk2 Valve Springs

wow, sorry to bring up a old topic but this really intrigued me as i'm going to be pushing some serious power and i already get mad torque steer.... are they just a drop in replacement for EG's? i have the z6 so different trannys?

You need a D16z6 or D16a6 Bottom end, as they have the whole's tapped to put the equal length half shafts in. Other 88-99 D Series have the wholes needed, they will need to be tapped for the bolts to thread in though.

:thumb:
By BLaCkSiLo
#121348 well i just happen to have a z6 bottom end / P20 tranny.... what kind of parts would i need for this and would it work with my combo? also, have you done this or seen a really good benefit?

i'm really intrigued by this! :hehe: so sorry for all the questions lol