N/A build discussion
By jamie gings
#109856 well lads was wondering what mods you would have to have to make it safe to rev an eg9 to 9000 rpm, iv an aftermarket ecu in it so the vtec kicks at 5000 rpm and goes to 9500rpm. as far as i no the otrher mods are j's racing intake, full exhaust system (4branch decat the lot), full earthing kit, lsd gearbox. i dont no if it has standard cams or not i think it does. should it have upgraded pistons and cams to rev it this high.????????
By zeppelin101
#109861 Well there's no point taking it beyond 8k in standard trim - maximum power is at 7800rpm (unless you have an SiR) so after that you're making noise and not going that much faster.

If you want to rev it 9k+ and it actually do something you'll need a less restrictice intake manifold, a proper set of cams with stiffer springs and proper retainers and higher compression.

Otherwise you're just putting stress on the engine for no benefit.
By Got_Purp
#110286 Well, if you're not wanting to spend the kind of money listed above. And you feel your bottom end can handle that. Then you can just get a chip and tune performed on the ECU. Running a new map is the cheapest way to run to 9K. But the only advantage to that, is having your rpm's higher for the next gear. Most power curves end in the upper mid range, about 7K to 7.5k. There's no point in taking it past that. I don't care if you can go all the way to 10K. Their just isn't any point.
By ChicagoMike
#110289 RPM stands for.....

Ruins
Peoples
Motors

No point in wrapping out the RPM's if you're not making power up that high. I've taken my motor to 10k before, but on a dyno I stop making power @8800RPM's, so 10k is useless.
By Sentry
ChicagoMike wrote:RPM stands for.....

Ruins
Peoples
Motors

No point in wrapping out the RPM's if you're not making power up that high. I've taken my motor to 10k before, but on a dyno I stop making power @8800RPM's, so 10k is useless.
:thumb:

And if anyone here's driven a Metro they would also know this. I've owned two of the things. :)

Pulls alright to like 5000, then it just falls on its face even though you can make noise all the way to 6500.