N/A build discussion
By willydc26
#103128 i have a d15b7. the other day i was driving, coming out of a roundabout, and gave it a little gas. the car got up to 40mph, then just died. all of the electronics were working, so i thought that the throttle cable had just broken or come off. when the car stopped rolling, i noticed that the car was actually shut off. i tried to start the car and it just cranked, but never started. i towed the car home and started checking fuses, they are all fine. next thing i did was pull spark plugs. they are a golden brown color and look fine. when i held them against the block and had my wife crank the engine, there was no spark from any of them. i then checked the distributor. there was rust colored dust in the cap and the posts had white powder on them. i cleaned them and tried again, still nothing. do you think this is the problem? or is it something else?
By suspendedHatch
#103184 Keep tracing back the spark and find your problem. The coil and ignitor on Hondas are prone to failure. They can be checked with a digital volt meter. DVOM will cost you about $20. The repair manual will cost you about $15. You really want to make sure and confirm that the parts are bad before you replace them.

When you were cranking with the spark plugs removed, did you smell fuel in the combustion chamber?
By Punksz6
#103212 Check The ICM in the dizzy!! Thats what happened to me a while back and I took it to an Autozone and they checked it for free and told me it was bad... Those things go for 80 dollars from autoparts and more if u buy it from the dealer so I just got a whole dizzy on C/L for $40 bucks...
But Yeah u should always try and narrow things down before u start buying stuff....Hope u get it fixed and let us know when u do!! :thumb:
By realmendriveteal
#104700 If when it died and you tried to restart it, did the engine seem to spin alot faster? = you broke the timing belt. If it was hot out that day it could be a main relay. but most likely it just need a full tune-up. If you still don't have spark, do as some of these other guys stated and replace the coil and ignitor. DON'T mess around w/ after-market crap, buy oem honda parts for this kind of important stuff.

OR..........

Do what I do, borrow a distributor from a like model and try that.
By willydc26
#109521 thanks for the help. sorry about the lack of replying. the problem was a bad igniton coil. put a new one in and the car started up jsut fine. now its got a new cap, rotor, plugs, leads, and igniton coil. all for under $100