N/A build discussion
By Classiccarsrule85
#100750 I am thinking of doing a little N/a mild compression build not high compression just looking to make a fair amount of power over stock and hopefully be a contender with my budies dx hatch that has the stock D15b7 though his has all the horses still since his motors got very low miles on it.....and i would like to contend with maybe other Z6/Y8's that have IHE

I am thinking of doing this since i am also planning on doing a slight rebuild i.e. buying a rebuild kit for my Z6 that i have right now since it will need rings in the #1 piston but besides that its all right and the fact that im having trouble fining someone that i think is going to be reliable sell me a good short block of either a D15 or a Z6 so rebuilding seems to be the best choice as of right now.

I am looking to do a hard tune on the motor as in use of a timing gear and the distributor to retard/advance the timing and add injectors and maybe a better intank fuel pump. so i dont run lean and destroy my work....and also i plan on running on stock rods/ that is why i want to do a mild build something not to powerful that i may pop a rod through the block i plan on getting though arp head studs and rod bolts to be on the safe side....

So let me know what oyu think i should do to maybe obtain this sorta power....i.e. possibly what pistons i should run how much should i shave the head and deck the block etc.....and yea i dont really wish to get a different cam since my old friend had one in his A6 and he had horrible gas mileage though i think his was more of a aggressive one. but anyhow let me know what you think i should do....

I was thinking use what i have already....
-skunk 2 intake pro series
-arospeed cam gear

Z6 oem stuff

And i was htinking piston wise...maybe D16a1's since they seem maybe a little less aggressive than the ZC's P29's would be and the fact that i already have a set. used of coarse but nothing a good cleaning cant fix. but yea was thinking that but not completely sure as i have not done a crap load of research on compression builds was more focused on turbos but now N/a is for me lol....i think
By Greasedmonkey
#100759 I know Im tired, but I just did some part swapping on a comp calc...

Using PM3 pistons in the z6 puts it up at 11.7:1 that would be really nice.
By Classiccarsrule85
#100827 though would that entail more than just a hard tune with adjusting timeing and fuel possibly spark would i have to get my ecu tuned for that is what im saying im just looking for something to do a nice hard tune on and have it run good and not have to worry about anything blowing up on me
By suspendedHatch
#100840 Don't waste your money on a cam gear or fuel pump, and don't mess with the ignition timing unless you're on the dyno.

Keeping it cheap is going to be hard. I think you should reconsider getting a cam. You're going to want something that says "stage 1" or "street". And if you get a cam THEN you're going to want a cam gear. Otherwise don't bother.

This is what I suggest. Get a 1.5 liter block and do a mini-me. Sounds like your block is bad already and 1.5's can be found in the trash. Some head/block combos will bump your compression a bit and yet you're keeping it OEM. The VTEC engines come with 240CC injectors vs the 190CC of all the non-VTEC's. That's enough extra fuel. I forget the exact hp increase where you run out of fuel but I know that it's beyond reach for most of us on a budget.

On the other hand, a D16A6 with an aftermarket cam and some high compression pistons is a surprisingly powerful little beast. Much more so than the D16Z6. The problem is that it's OBD0... and it's quite easy to make the kind of power that requires tricky engine management.

As far as recommending brands; I'm the wrong person to ask because I will only recommend stuff that I would put in my car and that tends to be expensive. But for a cam I would recommend Bisimoto. For pistons I would recommend Endyn roller waves. They're a unique design that allow unreal compression ratios with pump gas.

If you're going to cheap out on something, cheap out on the intake and exhaust. It's just pipe and it wont blow your motor. Yeah, the good stuff will net you more hp and a better power band. But the price difference between ebay shit and the good shit is nearly $1000 per component! The middle ground stuff is a waste of money unless you buy it used.
By Classiccarsrule85
#100849 yea that was my other option though id have to get one from my local yard since around here people want around 60$ whihc i dont think that is too bad for a low miles short block from a D15b2 or whatever came in the 88-91 civics is that too much? he guarentees its good so idk i have the money....

but yea that was going ot be my other option since its alot easier than haveing the block rehonded and stuff like that
By Greasedmonkey
#100874 why not get a D16y7 short block. 1.6 .
By Classiccarsrule85
Greasedmonkey wrote:why not get a D16y7 short block. 1.6 .

heard the Y7's and Y8's have misterious oiling issues plus D15's prolly would be 10 times easier to find around me for a good decent price
By suspendedHatch
#101033 These stupid rumors are born because people don't even know what they're talking about.

OBD2 D series have a "weaker flowing" oil pump. It's not difficult to take care of. It's no reason to exclude them. The OBD2 heads are the most highly advanced, most resistant to knock, and have the most usable power band. They're the best choice for a street car. But being that they're OBD2 and so different than the Z6, you don't want to use a P28. So in other words, engine management.