N/A build discussion
By luispizarro25
#100563 I had a smal question guys. I was reading my last Modified magazine and it said in an article that this guy loves when his vtec kicks in at around 6000rmp. I always thought it kicked it at around 3000rmp. Is this true, can you change the threshold point or what. I bearly rev my car up that hight so does that mean i dont know what vtec feels like... if so im gonna kill my self and that sucks....
By zeppelin101
#100564 Depends on what engine it is.

B16 VTEC is about ~5.5k

D16 VTEC is earlier at 4.5k I think? I can't remember

Anyway you can buy VTEC controllers, which imo are completely pointless unless you have it cam'd
By JUICE
#100565 hmm. depends on what engine it is... most of them stock hit around 4200?? if you run a program or vtec controller you can simply set it were you want it.
By luispizarro25
#100566 o i see so it depens on the engine... ok ok what would it be for a gsr one?
By marvinp8700
luispizarro25 wrote:o i see so it depens on the engine... ok ok what would it be for a gsr one?

not so much what engine

it's what ecu that makes the difference
By mistergou
#102939 I have a gsr but vtec kicks in at 5800 rpm, an redlines at 8800rpm the higher you set the vtec the harder it will hit
By Greasedmonkey
#102958 D series vtec hits at 5k
By suspendedHatch
#102993 "Harder it will hit" is the stupidest, most subjective explanation I've ever heard.

Okay maybe not. There's a lot of ignorant ricers out there that are overly concerned with how VTEC "feels". You never hear this kind of crap from people who understand how valvetrains work.

What your ass feels in the driver's seat is a dramatic change in torque. You can't feel horsepower, and you can't even feel anything well enough to make an accurate judgment of whether you've improved power or not.

So the trick your ass is playing on you by messing with the VTEC crossover RPM is that torque massively drops off once you pass the ideal point, then it engages late and suddenly there's a big increase in torque as you catch up to the point of the dyno graph you should have been at. The truth is, you made your car SLOWER. It's the same thing as if you go light throttle all the way up to high RPM and then suddenly gun it. Does that make your car faster? NO! But you FEEL it. That's why you need a dyno.

Unless you've changed the cam, the OEM VTEC crossover RPM is ideal. Raising it or lowering it will only damage your power curve. Especially if you're not able to adjust fuel and ignition timing along with changing the crossover RPM.

Ideally you would not feel VTEC engage at all. The original VTEC is a very primitive setup with only two states, On or Off. The newest executions of infinitely variable valve timing are totally seemless. Where your power band would naturally fall off, instead it continues to climb steadily because the ECU adjusts valve timing, duration, lift, and hence overlap.

In short, the best point for the VTEC crossover is the point at which you feel the transition THE LEAST.
By hondajunkee
#102997 My Vtec kicks in a 2k RPM :hehe:
By Eli'sEG94
#103221 suspendedHatch,

while we are on this subject I got a quick question, being that you seem to know in practicality what you are talking about. I used to have a D16Z6 on my Coupe then I changed over to LS/V Setup but that went south, now I have a Bone Stock B18B in there but I'm still using the same Stock ECU. I know I have to set the base map on it or get the ECU from the LS but the engine is out of a 97 Teggy and I don't want to mess with an OBDII ECU and all the harnesses and what not. My question is, why is it that every time that I go past 4k on my coupe it stars moving much faster? i mean I don't even have to press the gas pedal any more just slightly pressing it does the job also, but before 4k it's like it's dead, it even shakes sometimes. If you could help me out that's be great.
By 95projektvic
#113754 prolly your vtec kicking in :?
By JUICE
95projektvic wrote:prolly your vtec kicking in :?

has a bone stock b18b.... pretty sure thats not his vtec kicking in. :lol: :lol:
By 95projektvic
#113777 that's what i get for not reading the whole thread
By Faded_Milano
95projektvic wrote:prolly your vtec kicking in :?
How ironic! 8)