N/A build discussion
By j0keefe21
#95084 hey guys just wanted to share my build and get some input from you guys.
i got the stock d15b7. doing a z6 mini me with a 2 layer y8 gasket and the z6 intake manifold. a hondata intake manifold gasket, p28 ecu, aluminum underdrive crank pulley, CAI, 4-2-1 headers, test pipe, and custom 2.25 in exhaust going to a shitty thrush turbo muffler.

any input would be great. :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#95086 you would get higher compression if you didnt use the y8 double layer head gasket....and would also get higher compression using a y8 head due to the combustion chambers....

in a all motor build you definately want compression so thats what i would do i mean Z6 would be fine but of coarse y8 is better

the hondata intake manifold gasket just get regualr oem no need for that....i think its cheaper to just go oem but anyhow you should look into port matching your intake and i think exhaust....at least the header.

Also 2.25 i dont think id do that unless i was going to boost it unles thats stock lol idk but yea you want some back pressure in a all motor build you will lag in power big time on a all motor build with large exhaust pipeing..... plus i dont know who did the test either spoon or mugen and they said that the b pipe oem flows just as good if not better than aftermarket ones

And that is my 2cents
By chrono404
#95088 If your to do a N/A build then the 2.25" Exhaust will be fine, However if your going to Boost or Juice soon then you want 2.5". The Turbo Muffler will be good as they look decent and can be hidden well. Also doesn't look Rice. I would recommend the most free flowing flowmaster though as they make a nice deep tone. I have one and my car has an aggresive deep tone, Sounds similar to by buddys WRX.

Your Build should be good. You should look into Getting a Si/Ex transmission as the shorter gears will make it much more fun to drive. Having the longer gears kills the advantage you get from having the additional compression.

Also if you ever plan on Boosting dont get the Light weight pulley or a Lightened flywheel, both are good if your Going N/A. But when you boost it will increase spool time as you have less engine mass.

The 4-2-1 Header will give you better mid range engine power over a 4-1 Header. However if you want better peak power then a 4-1 Header will give you 1-2 extra peak hp over the 4-2-1.

I would recommend the N/A Path, and then Shoot some Nitrous to beat up on the Turbo Guys. :lol:

the hondata intake manifold gasket just get regualr oem no need for that....i think its cheaper to just go oem but anyhow you should look into port matching your intake and i think exhaust....at least the header.

The Hondata Intake Mani Gasket stops the intake manifold from heating up as quick. Its proven to help in Drags and is logical.
when you wait to launch your intake gets heated up. the cold air then cools it off by the time your done with your run. if you don't heat up your incoming air it will give you more dense air, thus making more power.

I want to get one soon before Race season starts agian.
By j0keefe21
#95092 thanks for the really quick replies... as far as the head gasket goes the 2 layer y8 is the thinnest you can put on. if you run it through the compression calculator you get just a hair above 10.5:1. i know the y8 head and intake manifold are better but im getting all the parts i need off a z6 from a buddy for $100.

as for the pulley, the car wont be boosted because of the thin rods. if i do ever boost i'll do a swap first.

my friend also has a flowmaster 40 series muffler he will sell to me for $10, i will probaly try it out but i dont know if it will sound bad.

im only 18 and am going to UTI orlando in may so im open to any ideas. i love cars and read all the time.

some people have said i could run with stock b16's is this a streatch?
By chrono404
j0keefe21 wrote:thanks for the really quick replies... as far as the head gasket goes the 2 layer y8 is the thinnest you can put on. if you run it through the compression calculator you get just a hair above 10.5:1. i know the y8 head and intake manifold are better but im getting all the parts i need off a z6 from a buddy for $100.

as for the pulley, the car wont be boosted because of the thin rods. if i do ever boost i'll do a swap first.

my friend also has a flowmaster 40 series muffler he will sell to me for $10, i will probaly try it out but i dont know if it will sound bad.

im only 18 and am going to UTI orlando in may so im open to any ideas. i love cars and read all the time.

some people have said i could run with stock b16's is this a streatch?

As I already said, I have a flowmaster. It sounds deep and nice with I/H/E. You should give it a shot with Headers and Exhaust.

Keep up with a b16? Depending on what the B16 is in.If its in an EF, then theres no chance unless you juice/boost. However assuming your talking about EG swaps. Possibly with a Good tune and Cam with your other mods. Beating one is a Different story.Before I was juicing, I only beat one once when he had a shitty launch. Just after Launch I had him by 1-2 cars, I only had him by a fender at the end(top of 3rd) of our "track". LS swaps on the other hand can be easily taken care of. However when juicing I have taken down quite a few as well as many others (B16's, GSRS, LSvtecs, H22's, Stock K20 Si, Turbo D's)
By j0keefe21
#95105 yea i really did wanna spray but the stock rods were really thin and i figured i could use the power from this set up all the time. what would be the best idea for my next mod? cams? or intake manifold?... and my secret dream is to spank this ass****s 2003 eclipse spyder st.

thanks for all the help :thumb:
By Classiccarsrule85
#95121 well you could always throw in some P29 ZC pistons that would up the compression
By chrono404
j0keefe21 wrote:yea i really did wanna spray but the stock rods were really thin and i figured i could use the power from this set up all the time. what would be the best idea for my next mod? cams? or intake manifold?... and my secret dream is to spank this ass****s 2003 eclipse spyder st.

thanks for all the help :thumb:

if you want to choose between the two, Intake Manifold, then Cam(with Tune)

Going the other way wouldn't make since as you need to tune after getting the cam, getting an intake manifold after that(Skunk2 yo) will give more air, therefore you should get a tune after that as well. the Cam will give you more power though.

Stock D15/D16 Rods hold until 250hp or so. I am shooting up on stock rods.
By j0keefe21
#95156 ok sounds good. are those my last ways to get power without swaping internals or doing FI?
By chrono404
j0keefe21 wrote:ok sounds good. are those my last ways to get power without swapping internals or doing FI?

Technically swapping cams would swapping internals but we wont be that picky, so I guess yeah.

Bolt on list:
>- Cold air Intake(unless turboed)
>- Upgraded Intake Manifold
>- Hondata(or Hondata Style) Plastic Intake Manifold Gasket
>- Exhaust Header
>- Larger free flowing exhaust
>- Decat/test Pipe
>- Lightended flywheel/Pulleys(only if not boosting)

After Major bolt on's, Then you have internal swaps:
>- More Aggressive Cam
>- Higher/Lower/Forged Pistons
>- Forged/Shotpeoned Rods
>- Lighted/knife edge crank
>- New Sleeves
>- Block Guard
>- Staged Clutch

I might be forgetting something, if so someone will point that out later.

Someone on the site a while back had a n/a D series that they claimed made over 200hp. It was a D16a6 Block with a built D16z6 vtec head. I dont remember more about the build then that.

If you dont want to Juice or used Forced induction it would be wise to do an engine swap to a B or H Series before putting serious money into your D. A Minime swap with exhaust is one thing. but building up a n/a D block and not juicing ontop of that doesn't' make much logical since, atleast not to me.
By j0keefe21
#95260 oh i completely agree. why spend the money beefing up your internals if you dont want to take advantage of them. NA will be my route for now since im leaving fo college soon and cash will be tight. i dont need a track car i just wanted to liven up the stock d15b7. its a little too slow for me even tho i've beat my friend 2004 ex with it. the mini me should keep my content for a little while. i'll post picks up of the build in a couple weeks. thanks for your input.
By j0keefe21
#95265 i have a question about timing. i might be a little confused about this. say i wanted to retard or advance my timing. could i just adjust my dizzy without getting an adjustable cam gear? or is that completely different? and say i wanted to tune my car using crome... what do i need to tune it?