N/A build discussion
By chrono404
#94540 From what I have red/heard from friends I believe i have the beginning phases of Rod Knock.

I have what sounds like a bad bearing, I Believe the sounds coming from my lower Engine block. More Towards the Front. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

At first I thought it was my alternator housing vibrating but the noise was more towards the front and lower.

:x :x :x The biggest bummer is that I just fixed the transmission. I have never been as tempted to sell it and buy a 99-00 Si :x :x :x

Any other thoughts of what this might be? I am working on getting a recording of it.

EDIT:
Youtube "Video" of possible Rod Knock Noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz_RoPnYhxs
By chrono404
#94564 I heard it at idle, When I am Driving 3-4k I hear nothing. I didn't get into vtec after hearing that noise. I assume this is because its just the bearing going bad atm.

I am thinking of buying new Bearings like Teal did and swap them out this weekend. I have a few Questions though.

- What Bearings do I use to replace my old ones. I have looked on Majestic honda and found many options of Bearings, there are quite a few colors, black, blue, green, pink, etc... Which one do I want to replace my Rod Bearings?

-Do I need to replace my Rod Bolts, Or can I reuse my OEM bolts?
By teal_dx
#94572 Rod knock is usually at a higher rpm ( mine was noticable around 3k-3.5k)

Here's how to tell what oem bearings you need:
http://www.civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=21

I'm not sure if it is your rod bearings or not, I'll listen to the vid on a computer with better speakers and see if I can hear anything.
By d-mon
#94574 bearing colors are determined by the combination of the numbers on the rod and the numbers on the the crank.
unless you are reving higher than stock 7500 oem bolts should be fine

if you drop the pan, you cha check the rods for excessive play
By chrono404
#95075 *Bump*

I have talked to my Buddy who has blown up tons of Honda Engines, D15s, D16's, B16's, B17's, LSvtecs, B20's, etc. He finally started building engine up right and tuning before adding a turbo and shooting nitrous. :lol:

He told me it is rod knock. Atleast the beginning stages of it.
I am going to pull the plan and girdle Wednesday morning, get the numbers, decode them, Get the bearings I Need from Honda. and hopefully have it back together that night, Thats assuming honda has the bearings I need.

He basically told me that I need to replace my Oil pump or I will get Rod knock again soon. What do you guys Think?
By teal_dx
chrono404 wrote:Thats assuming honda has the bearings I need

good luck man, I remember I went to Honda looking for D16z6 bearings for an entire rebuild. Some of them were discontinued, the rest were on severe backorder. I ended up getting the ones they had and not even using them. I went with aftermarket instead because they were easier to find (and cheaper)
That was a couple years ago. I still have the "green" bearings if that ends up being what you need, lmk :thumb:

Oil starvation is most likely how it happened, if you didn't run on low or filthy oil then the pump might be the problem.
In my case it was the break in that went wrong.
By d-mon
#95271 it's good to replace oil pump, water pump, timing belt + tensioner if there's a lot of miles on your engine.