N/A build discussion
By sdots
#94287 Hey guys, I posted a while ago about some issues with the engine magically cooling itself even when the engine was raced, looked like it was a problem with a faulty thermostat.
Now that it's replaced, it heats up in good time and no problems there...
However, I've noticed that the temp gauge randomly gets really high when idling. This doesn't happen when driving though. So what could be the problem.

- I have taken the precaution to bleed the coolant system and replace with a 50/50 mixture of anti-freeze/coolant with de-ionized water.

- Ensure the system is free from air pockets.

- Run the coolant through the system properly

Any idea's of what could be wrong here? I'm not too sure if the temp switch relates to the oil temp or water temp being a little stupid here, but I really can't remember.

Thanks for any help.

Sanj
By ej2rey
#94335 like teal said or you might have installed it upside down.
shouldve left it thermostatless
By sdots
#94365 lol it's not warm enough here for thermostat-less, need it to heat up pretty quickly.

Teal yeh the fan does kick in, everything functions normally, it's just a little irregular to see the temp gauge rise high and then drop again, it wasn't doing it so much today however, so i'll keep an eye on it for now.

make any suggestions in the mean time just incase this slight issue is still around.

thanks

sanj
By teal_dx
#94373 You got the engine up to operating temp when bleeding the system right?

Turn the heat on all the way and hold the throttle open a little bit? It can take ~5 mins of light throttle
By sdots
teal_dx wrote:You got the engine up to operating temp when bleeding the system right?

Turn the heat on all the way and hold the throttle open a little bit? It can take ~5 mins of light throttle

Oh yeh, I went for a drive first, the changed the thermostat.
We'll see on the drive to work today and see if it happens again, hasn't happened yet, maybe just paranoia lol. thanks any how dude, will keep this thread posted.
By suspendedHatch
ej2rey wrote:like teal said or you might have installed it upside down.

You should never remove the thermostat. Your engine will never reach operating temperature and the ECU will keep you in warm up enrichment mode. The added fuel decreases your power output and will wear your bores, as well as destroy your O2 sensor and cat converter.
By ej2rey
suspendedHatch wrote:
ej2rey wrote:like teal said or you might have installed it upside down.

You should never remove the thermostat. Your engine will never reach operating temperature and the ECU will keep you in warm up enrichment mode. The added fuel decreases your power output and will wear your bores, as well as destroy your O2 sensor and cat converter.

Yeah I know the consiquences and I know having the thermostat is assential for the motor to run normally but I live in cali in the valley to be exact where its super hot 90% of the time. The only time my car doesn't reach normal opperating temperature is early in the morning going to work. The rest of the day is always a hairline b4 reaching half. And that's without a thermostat. Also am running catless so its all good. I rather my o2 go out once in a while which it has not yet and hope it stays like that for a while more than my engine overheating.

I understand where your coming from tho. That's why my new turbo build will have a thermo for sure. I just have it thermoless on my dd.
By sdots
#94852 Yeh I thought it would be cause your from a hotter place than england :( the joy! loll Why not run a lower operating thermostat? I found out that was the problem to my motor, the previous owner of the engine must have put these bits and bobs in not knowing what the hell was going on loll, but all is well now, doesn't overheat now either :) the suspension just had a full revamp too with new wishbones bushes arb linkages and rear lca's :D it feels so much better, no crashing ftw loll
By Josiah
#95348 its cause your n/a :thumb:
By realmendriveteal
#104704 sounds like if the cooling fan kicks on and your sure it's spinning in the correct direction, you have a head gasket going. I've diagnosed serveral Honda engines doing exactly what you stating. run the engine at operating temp then look for bubles coming out the radiator.( keep the cap off during this time and keep your skin clear from contact w/hot coolant). Does it seem to loose coolant over time, not externaly?
By hondajunkee
realmendriveteal wrote:sounds like if the cooling fan kicks on and your sure it's spinning in the correct direction, you have a head gasket going. I've diagnosed serveral Honda engines doing exactly what you stating. run the engine at operating temp then look for bubles coming out the radiator.( keep the cap off during this time and keep your skin clear from contact w/hot coolant). Does it seem to loose coolant over time, not externaly?

realmendriveteal, you've really been throwing out some good information lately, you should start a new guy thread and let us know more about you :thumb: