N/A build discussion
By JLau
#33610 Don't get me wrong. A built LSV ain't nothing to mess with but the abuse I put on my 1st B16 was amazing. I'd consistantly push the tach up there and actually shifted late many times above red, by mistake of course, and she kept going. My brother mishifted the shit out of it with out even a hiccup she kept going strong.

My LSVTEC went like this....

B18A1 block
Port and polished JDM B16A Head
JE 11:1 CR pistons
ARP Head Bolts
ACL Bearings
Balanced and blue printed crank
Crower Springs and Retainers
Cometic head gasket
MSD Spark plug wires
OEM Camshafts

Yeah, it was missing cams. I would have felt better sleeved but even then I would not feel right revving it high. OEM engineering will always be better in my mind for high revs where all honda motors shine and where I feel I need to be.

On the other hand, I'll take a B18C R any day or a K20 if I was a BALLER. You can keep LSV's and B20V's. I'll take the motors designed to rev.
By Ej2-B16a
JDM FERIO MAN wrote:Ls VTEC all day F@(k B16's a B16 is just like a big d16z6 wich is a sh!t motor :woot:

your forgetting that we have a extra camshaft :lol:
By LowTEC-Derbo
#33652 Jlau couldn't have said it any better.

Reliability goes to the B16A.

LS.VTEC is not a stock upgrade so it can vary on how well it is in power/reliability. I know some people with a semi built LSVTEC that daily drives without problems but there are others with a stock head/ ls block that have issues and vice versa.

Honestly I would get the B16A as it is a better platform for building up. If you dont like the displacement, stroke it. :P

I'm with Jlau, K20R or B18C5 ftw. I'm stuck with my boosted d16z6. :(
By asianrob
#33654 LS vtec is very reliable as many motors that me and my bro build and sold LS vtec is the one that we liked the most because you can use almost all OEM parts and make close to 180hp we built 4 of them 1 he blew up because of No rev limit and 3 he sold and the last he built was a B20Vtec which made 185 Before tune which consist of

84.5M RS machine type R pistons (yea 84.5 is really close lol but it made nice power)
JG edelbrock manifold
ACL bearings
power seal rings
ITR valves
Rocket Motor sports valve springs and retainers
Jun Stage 3 Cams
65mm JG edel brock Throttle body
stock Rods with ARP bolts
Micro polished crank
ECU= Socketed P28 was going to use Hondata S100 but sold the motor

now he has a
GSR with AEBS intake manifold
65mm JG T/B
ACL bearings
powerseal rings
Stock rods with Arp bolts
mircopolished and balanced crank
socketed P28
no dyno yet but its for sale lol
By LowTEC-Derbo
DC4rob wrote:LS vtec is very reliable as many motors that me and my bro build and sold LS vtec is the one that we liked the most because you can use almost all OEM parts and make close to 180hp we built 4 of them 1 he blew up because of No rev limit and 3 he sold and the last he built was a B20Vtec which made 185 Before tune which consist of

84.5M RS machine type R pistons (yea 84.5 is really close lol but it made nice power)
JG edelbrock manifold
ACL bearings
power seal rings
ITR valves
Rocket Motor sports valve springs and retainers
Jun Stage 3 Cams
65mm JG edel brock Throttle body
stock Rods with ARP bolts
Micro polished crank
ECU= Socketed P28 was going to use Hondata S100 but sold the motor

now he has a
GSR with AEBS intake manifold
65mm JG T/B
ACL bearings
powerseal rings
Stock rods with Arp bolts
mircopolished and balanced crank
socketed P28
no dyno yet but its for sale lol

but see is this stock? :P

if you slapped a GSR head on a LS Block...which is more reliable? B16A or that?

I know for a fact LS/VTEC is a very reliable setup if done right but I have yet to see a stock one as in as little as possible done be as reliable as the B16A.
By JLau
#33663 No doubt a LSV can be built to be reliable. I've never made that statement but the LS and B20 rotating assembly was never designed to rev they way the VTEC heads were to make the power they do in that range of the RPM band. Also, both blocks are missing VTEC oil squirters that aid in lubrication at such high rpm's. I will stick to the same arguements that were used when the frakenstiens were developed.

If it was such a great idea, why is it that 99% of all LSV's and B20V's are only used by induvidual tuners and forum jumpers and not large company track cars. I can not think of one company built or sponsored track car that uses these motors. It's either stroked B16's or Type R's. GSR's are rarely used by them.
By asianrob
#33694 its already Vtec ready they'll buy a GSR or type R and build from there with less hassle i suppose but that is true LS and the B20 werent made to be high revving motors just i dont like the B16 at all lol
By Split_second
#33728 dats y i just went with gsr
By split sec eg
Split_second wrote:
JLau wrote:
Split_second wrote:ls-vtech if done right me honestly i think b16 is garbage

It's VTEC and garbage based on what?

its a 1.6 v-tech alot of ppl swap em in b16 bcause its cheap but theres no power at all 2 b16 motors i seen b16 get smoke by single cam v tech

are you talking about my green coupe?? man... i get kenny of the line but my clutch is bad .. dont get me wrong dat single cam was built ..
By Split_second
split sec eg wrote:
Split_second wrote:
JLau wrote:
Split_second wrote:ls-vtech if done right me honestly i think b16 is garbage

It's VTEC and garbage based on what?

its a 1.6 v-tech alot of ppl swap em in b16 bcause its cheap but theres no power at all 2 b16 motors i seen b16 get smoke by single cam v tech

are you talking about my green coupe?? man... i get kenny of the line but my clutch is bad .. dont get me wrong dat single cam was built ..

hahah y are you in this conversation? im just speaking in general and yes you did get smoke by single cam vtech so did putt b16 is garbage
By JLau
Split_second wrote:
hahah y are you in this conversation? im just speaking in general and yes you did get smoke by single cam vtech so did putt b16 is garbage

OMG, :roll: you just don't get it do you?
By Greasedmonkey
#33921 My single cam "VTEC" motor would beat the 99-00 Si's all the time. Doesnt mean the B16a is garbage. The B16a is a great motor. Its alot better than the SOHC VTEC motors in so many ways. So what if it doesnt have more torque. None of honda's motors have much of that anyways.
By Eli'sEG94
#56502 I was a fan for the B16 for a while and when I got the chance to finally have one, something went awgry and the engine seized, my friend gave me the choice to go LS/VTEC and I said well why not since I already have all that is needed. that's the only reason I went with an LS/V Aside form that I know that you can't rev them like the B16 but I'm not used to rev to 9,000 RPM; 7,00RPM0 is fine for me right now. untill i rebuild.
By indie2.0
#56579 i vote b16a. have one myself and love it.
By BADD EGG
chnzgoofball wrote:depends... whos doing the ls-v if u r and u kno ure shit then yea go ls-v or if a shop is doing it and they know their shit u kno??? but if u gonna let some cluesless guy do the ls-v for u go b16

I agree. I have seen reliability issues with LSV mainly from people who are clueless but even from people that know whats up.