N/A build discussion
By vtec_gloucester
#5220 had some problems with my engine so i compression tested it today...

cylinder 2 and 4 where ok with about 240 in each

but 1 and 3 only have about 120 each

so ive got a fun weekend ahead of me... any hints or tips on this job?
By vtec_gloucester
#5226 its a b18c over - i was told it had about 40k on the clock when the engine was put in my car but the condition of the cam said different.
By vtec_gloucester
#5230 like i said - the cam cover would suggest it has seen a few more miles than 40k

im kinda looking forward to taking on such a big job...

i cant wait :D :lol:
By ChicagoMike
#5232 Did you follow up the compression test with a leak down test?? The problem might be in the head! Have any really bad mis-shifts??

I'm leaning more towards bent valves, or bad valve stem seals.

If your headgasket was bad, you'd be leaking coolant into your oil.
By vtec_gloucester
#5233 thats what someone eles has said to me - to get a leak down test.

im abit of a n00b so i dont have a clue what that is. lol

the car still drives ok-ish

idle is very poor... sometime cuts out and is lumpy, hesitent when engine is cold.
By ChicagoMike
#5234 A leakdown test will determine if the problem is in the block or the head.

A bad headgasket will definately not throw your numbers off that bad, no way in hell.

Usually, from what I've seen, when the numbers are off that bad.....the problem is usually in the head.

So how about that mis-shift????
By ohDirka
#5235 been there with with the d-series
By vtec_gloucester
#5240 ive been assured it aint the VSOS or a bent valve due to the fact it only took about 20 seconds for the compression to build up when testing it.

also, ive been told to do a "wet" compression test where you put a little oil in the cylinder then do the compression test. if the pressure is more then the rings have gone.
By ChicagoMike
#5242 The rings on my ITR block went bad. My compression test was 170 across the board. Very low, but even. Piston rings should wear down evenly, where as bent valves can be bent all different ways. It just seems a lil odd that its only in the 2 cylinders, with such a difference in numbers from the good cylinders to the bad.
By vtec_gloucester
#5243 ive been told that i caught it in its early stages...

im going by what my mate has told me and other info from civicsportsclub.net
By ChicagoMike
#5244 240 on a good cylinder, and 120 on a bad is definately not catching it early. That 120 gets much lower your car's not even going to run.
By vtec_gloucester
#5245 well its gotta be good a sign catching it when its just effected 2 cylinders rather than all 4???

remember im abit of a n00b when it comes to this - its all a learning curve for me... basic mechanical knowledge i have but nothing like this. lol
By teal_dx
#5246 So is there a trace of coolant in your oil, or any find of oil in your coolant? I had a blown HG and my car ran fine, the temps would rise sometimes though. The oil was fine, no white smoke from the exhaust, however there was a tiny bit of oil in the coolant tank.

Also when a HG cracks, the 2 cyls side by side will be the weaker ones... (assuming that the gasket failed in the middle and not on the edge) strange that you got low numbers from 1 & 3 instead of 2 & 3 :?

Keep us updated on the mystery :hehe: