N/A build discussion
By vtec veezy
#73049 hey guys, i made my decision and wanted to go all motor, but still haven't decided which b series engine to get. I wanna make decent numbers (in the 200's range) and even better when more money comes in, so which would you guys recommend? thanks in advance
By Greasedmonkey
#73199 B18c5 OR The B18C R, almost there stock. 195hp at the flywheel stock.
By sdots
Greasedmonkey wrote:B18c5 OR The B18C R, almost there stock. 195hp at the flywheel stock.

Would say the same and also the B16B has similar numbers but harder to get your hands on
By Greasedmonkey
#73254 True indeed, 185hp stock is a good starting point. One of the best pistons honda has for the B series motors too. It is in essence only a tall deck B16a though. Pretty much a GSR/Type R with B16a crank and rods and some nasty domed pistons.
By vtec veezy
#73256 thanx for the info! didnt know they did that much stock! and also, sorry to change the subject...but what are your thoughts on itb's? are they bad for the engine or anything?
By Greasedmonkey
#73257 ITBs are great for all motor cars. Not easy to get running good but well worth it. If I didnt already have a skunk2 manifold, I would get some ITBs for mine.
By suspendedHatch
#73263 LS/VTEC done right. If you're doing a N/A build, you'll be installing high compression pistons anyway. 200hp you can get w/out even trying.

ITB's feel incredible but you sacrifice a lot of driveability. To do it right you really need to do some serious fabrication; not just the ITB's themselves, but also for vacuum control and a plenum. That's right, to do ITB's correctly on a street car you need to build a type of plenum.
By sdots
#73304 ITB's are great, and the sound is amazing, but like suspendedhatch said, it's not as straight forward as you would assume it to be
By asianrob
#73312 id only throw ITB's in if had some serious stuff on the car like some cams valve springs/retainers, atleast a mild port and polish job and some one that can actually Tune your motor with ITB's
By vtec veezy
suspendedHatch wrote: That's right, to do ITB's correctly on a street car you need to build a type of plenum.

sorry, i'm as noob as they get, what do you mean by plenum??
By Civic_HatchSI
#73379 One of the local guys, has a built n/a ls/vtec he hit low 13s on the 1/4 mile, and with nos he hit 12s.

quick little video i took.

http://s63.photobucket.com/albums/h146/ ... otorEG.flv

203whp , and 138tq