N/A build discussion
By biretsu89
#71751 I was wondering about a few questions on a high compression build on a d16z6. Basically, is a high compression build going to be cheaper/more reliable than a turbo build? How much power can be made to keep reliability? Also,... is it possible to make a high compression build and keep it smog legal ? ( I live in Cali) .... I have no clue about anything on a high compression build.... I dont even know what pistons to use O.o... but I thought I would find out about the price and smog.

By d-mon
#71764 d-series N/A horsepower is pretty expensive, that's why turbos are so popular.
unfortunatly, high compression engines need a high performance cam and tuning and therefore are not 'smog friendly'
you might want to consider keeping a stock engine to swap in every other year for your smog check if you do a high compression build.
By suspendedHatch
#71879 High compression requires high octane fuel, precise engine management ie a standalone ECU, and a good tune. You'll never make as much power N/A as you will with a turbo. The advantage to N/A is less moving parts. No turbo, no blow off valve, no waste gate, no boost controller, no added oil lines, no added vacuum lines, no boost gauge, less problems with PCV. N/A leaves you lots of real estate in the engine bay which makes for easier maintenance.

Endyn makes the most technically advanced pistons. Then you'll want a standalone ECU, ARP head studs, a good head gasket, a cam, a good header ie Bisimoto, an intake manifold, and intake ie AEM V2, a straight through exhaust ie Magnaflow, bigger injectors... and then you run into everything else downhill. Once you increase power significantly you have to upgrade everything else or else it all starts to fall apart.

FI is a much more popular route for the cheaper lower-powered D series.
Last edited by suspendedHatch on Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By biretsu89
#71903 Dam O.o haha..... Thanks for the info guys. I already have a few of the things listed... does the v2 make more of a difference? I have an Aem cai ... Sounds about the same amount of money for a high compresssion build compaired to forced induction. Less parts though sounds very intriging... I should have known that a build like this too would not pass smog haha... I should just move somewhere with no smog haha..

Thanks again :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#71926 You can pass smog with a NA motor. Just make sure the tune is good.
By biretsu89
#72011 Really? I could still pass smog with all that stuff? Cool :thumb: .. I would think the cam alone would mess with the smog. This makes a high compression build seem more interesting.
By Greasedmonkey
#72013 Why would you not be able to pass?

One of the guys I race with has a ENdyne built B20/vtec and his car passes smog.
By biretsu89
#72030 Really? O.o... Well.. I guess anything is possible with money right? haha... Well I cant say I am going to begin it now. But I think I am leaning more to a high compression build. I know Forced Induction has more potential for a D series, but I want the most reliability out of the build that I do. Who knows... I just put in my z6... I might just forget about the high compression build and drop in a b18 of some sort.

By Greasedmonkey
#72045 The tune is what matters.
By suspendedHatch
#72330 Well yeah with VTEC you should be able to pass smog. Leave the low cam lobe overlap alone. With a non VTEC engine and a stage 3 N/A cam, you'll have a ton of overlap so you'll be idling high/rough and blowing lots of fuel out of the exhaust.

A turbo charged setup would also be able to pass smog outside of CA.
By biretsu89
#72368 Outside of CA? ... but I at live inside O.o ... *shakes fist at smog laws*
By stefan
#72385 You might want to look into D13 pistons, but it will prob. mean you'll need a custom grinded cam as c/r rockets sky high with those little jewels.
By 95Ej2civic
#349594 I'm looking at doing the same thing to my z6 is do a build all motor strong and reliable. It'll be my first full build and just lookin for insight on the right direction. I was lookin at eagle rods and wiseco forged Pistons with acl rod bearings and the bisimoto header along with the good head gasket arp head studs head work such as a port and polish and maybe a 3 angle valve job. And the bigger injectors. I'm not looking for crazy hp just that strong reliable dd d series that not many in my area have. Any help would be appreciated and would what I'm lookin at as far as parts go a good way to go? And was also lookin at a crower cam with an aem adjustable cam gear or what would be a good cam and gear for my build I'm lookin to do?