N/A build discussion
By hannibalhekki
#62144 taken from:
http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthread.php?t=241327

Done on a Honda Engine, but concept is exactly the same. I think it's a worth wild to post and fairly easy to do with some adventure.

Starting off with a set of 2001 Suzuki GSX-R Throttle bodies. I picked up this set on ebay for very cheap! 50 bucks. The spacing looked about right, I think it was about 80mm, perfect for alignment on the B-series head.

Measureing at 42mm @ the butterflys and tapers to a 45mm (which also had secondary butterflys that were taken out).

The stock manifold was chopped off slightly after the fuel rail mounts, I then had 1 1/2 inch long aluminum runners welded on (1.75od) After the welded I had the manifold surfaced on both sides, and threw a chanfer on the lips of each runner. (75 dollars weld/machine work)

Here are the cheap ass velocity stacks I got on ebay, they were 35 bucks. used some small machine screws to fasten them down. Looks kinda cheezy, but they do the job.

These are the silicone couplers that attach the Throttle bodies to the intake manifold. Sounds kinda half ass huh? well the factory Suzuki ITB's are this way, and most other bikes too! And after attaching them they were very sturdy. I used Napa bulk Silicone hose, with some hose clamps. (20 bucks from Napa)

The Cover shield that hides the linkage and other stuff, just cosmetic.

The factory ITB Fuel injector bungs were JB welded shut, except for the last one which has my brake booster port coming out. You can also see the map sensor signal lines, each port all T's into one and goes to the map sensor.

Thought it looked long? so did I, but after measureing up with the stock manifold, I felt a bit better, I thought for sure the stacks would be touching the firewall, but its actually just a bit shorter than the stock manifold.

The TPS situation, well the Suzuki tps had a way differant range than the stock honda one, I tried to make it work, but it just wasnt happening, So the stock honda one had to be modified to fit somehow.

First I made a baseplate with a hole saw and some scrap aluminum. This is on the backside of the shaft (driverside)

The Brass fitting, was bored out to be a custom bushing for the shaft.

The Shaft is actually a honda throttle body shaft cut down about 1/4

Now for mounting, I used a piece of PVC pipe to space out the tps, so it could mount solid.

Hoggered out the holes on the base plate a bit, so I could get a good amount of adjustment.

Used some extra long machine screws to mount it down

All mounted down, Its very secure and pretty easy to adjust.

Now setting the TPS up in the correct range. Stock TPS setting @ closed .4 - .5v

Stock setting WOT about 4.5v

Best I could get the ITB TPS was .6 @ closed

and 4.4 @ WOT

The throttle linkage was alot easier than I thought! I used an extra throttle bracket from a D16a6 intake manifold, and it fit right off the backside perfect!

This kinda pissed me off, I mounted the TPS upside down, it was hitting the master cylinder. So I had to rotate it, and re-adjust it.

Overall, for a couple hundred bucks it was well worth it, it took a little bit to get running, the idle was pretty easy, a nice 1100-1200rpms. It sounds pretty interesting too, especially when vtec kicks in.

http://www.homemadeturbo.com/tech_projects/itb

:thumb:

you coulda made it a bit easier if u bought my Honda 929 throttles
the TPS plugs right in
and the voltage range is the same for any other honda acura

:thumb: :woot: :twisted:

i think i might just do this with the extra D16Z6 intake manifold i have! they kept saying to use the 929 throttle bodies instead!?[url][/url]
By ohDirka
#62147 Nice write up. A member on here (Rice2Nice) made a set out of CBR954 carbs for a d-series. Although he doesn't even have a d-series anymore. What CC GSX-R did those carbs come off of? I'm pretty sure the 600 wont bolt up right
By hannibalhekki
D15kid wrote:Nice write up. A member on here (Rice2Nice) made a set out of CBR954 carbs for a d-series. Although he doesn't even have a d-series anymore. What CC GSX-R did those carbs come off of? I'm pretty sure the 600 wont bolt up right

they kept saying something about the 959's??
By biretsu89
#62173 pure genius..... When I have the time and extra cash... I will for sure do this :thumb: Great write up and awesome pics. I dont know what the hell you were doing though with the whole tps thing.... I will have to do my homework to find out haha
By Greasedmonkey
#62187 Id kinda like a ITB setup for my next motor. Just not sure if I want to make it or get a premade one.
By id3379
#62216 nice job
By opocot
#62225 nice :thumb:
By civicboy
#62228 that is nice, i might wanna do it to my b16a2, are there any performace gain on this, Amer
By suspendedHatch
#62243 Did you build a vacuum chamber to stabilize the vacuum? Have you checked the MAP voltage? Is it steady or is it bouncing all over the place? Have you considered running an alpha-N based calibration? Throttle response with ITB's and TPS based maps is incredible.

You're not concerned with any kind of air filter?

1200 RPM idle?!

Did you dyno tune it before and after?

What are you using for a vacuum source for the brake booster, fpr, etc?
By suspendedHatch
#62690 These guys are coming along pretty decently getting a streetable setup and TPS based maps. I still would like to have a plenum over the ITB's routed to an air filter.

Just scroll down until you see the pictures.

http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=1157&page=6

http://www.onecamonly.com/showthread.php?t=1157&page=8