N/A build discussion
By weaponr82
#61446 Hey I got some cash and I drove a new Si and hated it a lot. In fact I couldnt wait to get back in my normal car. So I've decided not to sell it but mod it more.
Now should I get a B18C and mod it? Or should I be a greedy a hole (which is more me anyway) and just put some mods on my z6 to keep it fun?
I want your opinions because you guys matter.
By Faded_Milano
#61447 if you're going to stick with naturally aspirated, then I'd say go with the B
By civicboy
#61497 go b16 if your gonna turbo, and go for b18 if its gonna stay na, Amer
By suspendedHatch
#61500 B18B is better than B16 for turbo unless you're only running modest boost. VTEC has too much overlap.
By Greasedmonkey
#61502 i think he might have meant D16 for turbo... But I would Say B18b for turbo is a better thing anyways.
By 0p71mu5pr1m3
#61506 I don't really understand why so many people say that the B18B is better for boost, when the B16 has a lot better internals and can make greater power than the B18B without major mods. A B16 can be had for relatively cheap anymore and would be a great starting point. But hell, why not just do a K20 if you had the money to drop on a new SI :hehe:
By marvinp8700
I don't really understand why so many people say that the B18B is better for boost, when the B16 has a lot better internals and can make greater power than the B18B without major mods. A B16 can be had for relatively cheap anymore and would be a great starting point. But hell, why not just do a K20 if you had the money to drop on a new SI

x2
By mage182
#61538 I agree. Why swap an engine that they stopped producing years ago. K is the way to go for now. With the newer technology and a six speed. You'll get great performance and good economy when you want it.

The technology is there to swap the K with all bolt on parts now, and if you're only doing bolt ons that are required (Intake, header, fuel rail) you can use the stock ECU and save yourself the 1500+ you'll spend on KPro+tuning.
By suspendedHatch
#61547 Well if that's the case then a B16 with a turbo application cam would be the best (less overlap). If it's a serious drag-only engine then you would get a huge cam that eliminates VTEC.

Honda may have stopped making B's but Dart and ERL both make blocks and Endyn has DHP coming out with heads. You can get a completely aftermarket B built stronger than Honda ever made it and with your choice of displacement all the way up to 2.3 liters I believe. The B isn't going away.
By Classiccarsrule85
#64458 Well with me I got what I could and am building up a LS for myself (not building it just peiceing the swap together) and let me tell you for something that is somewhat redibly easy to get those hydro bseries trans are hard to find.

I think to make it a fun little car Id stick with a Dseries now the Z6 is a good option to keep in mind I right now have one in my CX. pretty much stock with a intake. its fun but n/a is not really going to produce much power for you with this engine. nor really any other dseries engines unless you put a good amount of work into it...(easy way to research this dseries.org) greatsite.....

Anyways now if you plan on turboing the car then id say keep the Z6 if not go with the DOHC ZC alot of people use this in order to turbo the car and they make good numbers doing so.

Pretty much it will end up being personal preference for you.

Turbos are nice for a good power adder though gas consumption and engine wear will go up if not properly kept in tune. N/a is a simplier way to go though its making the parts work together in harmony which will produce the most power.

I think to have more fun in your car you should first lower the weight take it to some SCCA meets or some kind of auto cross and go n/a for now with some ok upgrades to produce some power and then decide if you wanna stay D or go B
By opocot
#64555 b18 :thumb:

k20 :thumb: :thumb:
By teal_dx
opocot wrote:b18 :thumb:

k20 :thumb: :thumb:

B18 $

K20 $ $

:hehe:

If you have the funds, K swap would be nice, and a 6 speed. But like Suspended_Hatch said, B series aren't going away. You could build a mean B for the cost of the K :thumb: