N/A build discussion
By hatchiespank
#2516 i have a d15z1. i was wondering on how i can make my v-tec pop harder for more power. i am just now sure on how i can do this. can any one help?
By ChicagoMike
hatchiespank wrote:i have a d15z1. i was wondering on how i can make my v-tec pop harder for more power. i am just now sure on how i can do this. can any one help?

I'm not trying to be an ass, but, If you want a good VTEC crossover....get a B series.
Last edited by ChicagoMike on Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By asianrob
#2521 swap out your VX ECU for a EX/Si ECU its a P28 that you want to look for
By chnzgoofball
eg8ferio wrote:swap out your VX ECU for a EX/Si ECU its a P28 that you want to look for

yup a few of my friends did that
By teal_dx
#2626 of all the Honda motors, the B16 seems to "pop" into vtec the loudest. A DOHC will always be louder than SOHC because the exhaust and intake are separate cams.
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:of all the Honda motors, the B16 seems to "pop" into vtec the loudest. A DOHC will always be louder than SOHC because the exhaust and intake are separate cams.

isnt dohcs vtec both exhaust and intake while sohc is just intake??
By teal_dx
#2636 yup, thats the main reason they sound meaner when they crosss over.

SOHC you gotta listen for it.
By chnzgoofball
#2696 but i wonder... if u upgrade the intake manifold on a sohc will u be able to hear vtec better???
By teal_dx
#2699 yeah for sure. When I installed a short ram it was a lot louder when the lobes switched to vtec. I also had a cold air intake and it hummed louder, but the going into vtec was not quite as loud.
By hatchiespank
#2707 so your saying that the popingof the v-tec isn't that loud on a sohc? so what if i get a p28? could i do it that way? one more thing. wht do you think about APC parts?
By chnzgoofball
teal_dx wrote:yeah for sure. When I installed a short ram it was a lot louder when the lobes switched to vtec. I also had a cold air intake and it hummed louder, but the going into vtec was not quite as loud.

yeah i kno about the intake, but the intake manifold hahaha i think most likely because the manifold will be bigger meaning more air meaning louder vtec... hopfully...
By teal_dx
#2712 ohh i missed the manifold part... ya know, thats a good question. I am not sure. :?

All the SOHC vtec motors are quieter than the DOHC, that's just the way it is since the SOHC cam only has vtec lobes on the intake side where as the DOHC motors have vtec lobes on both intake and exhaust cams.

a P28 is for the D16z6. The D15z1 is a vtec-e motor is meant for economy more than performance.

I think the D15z1 has a 5 wire 02 sensor where the D16z6 P28 is a 4-wire 02 sensor. seems like a lot of trouble to go through for such little gain.

Rather than buy a P28 that may or may not work, just buy a short ram air intake. This should give you a louder sound and they don't cost much.
APC is cheap parts in most cases, but usually as good as or better than the no-name generic stuff on ebay.
By boxcarracer0260
teal_dx wrote:yup, thats the main reason they sound meaner when they crosss over.

SOHC you gotta listen for it.

Also the sohc vtec only advances or retards timing while the dohc vtech adjusted the cams to near race spec and the ivtec motors do both..
By ChicagoMike
#3713 Here's is what happens when you hit VTEC.

ImageClick here to see Video
By boxcarracer0260
#3799 that is a cool little video that shows how the lobes on the DOHC and I-VTEC systems work