N/A build discussion
By Classiccarsrule85
#57776 Well I am probaly going to go and snag a block out of my local junkyard from a Sol that was stripped....I already took the head and the trans is also very well hidden gotta love hideing stuff at the yard when your low on cash flow.

But anyways ill be hopefully getting a better job soon so I will probaly have some cash to throw around on building my motor.

So first off I have a 1995 honda CX minor mods to the Z6 that is already in there a b18 tb ported polished intake. tried a header on it but since it deleted the Cat i had to put it back on less noise = less tickets for said noise and also nice neighbors....but besides that there are truely no other mods on the Z6 (the one i have now has plenty of miles left on it but its going to be transplanted into a Si ive been working on for the longest time. since the cx is lighter and i like my lil' red hatch

But what I am planning on doing is getting a motor to where it is economical for the most part i mean i know once you start gaining hp you lose that battle. I am looking for something to be a little bit competitive sicne I plan on racing this car on the strip and at the local autocross. Not ot mention it is to be my D.d. so i need it to be reliable. And as cost effective as possible.

Heres what I am planning so far
(known mods)
-better cold air intake with custom heat sheild
-Full exhaust from the headers possibly a perf cat if i can find one cheap and a good cat back exhaust nothing to loud of coarse but somethign with a deep tone to it.
-probaly a MSD ignition set-up for better spark (along with good plugs and wires)

(possibles ive been thinking of doing)
-Port n polish the head (along with gasket match the intake and exhaust ports for better flow)

-Either a aftermarket intake or probaly a Y8 intake i already have one but it was on a cruise controled car thusly its got that extra vaccum hole. So i am going to look for a different one of coarse

-chip the P28 ecu

Unsure though as to how much that would get me overall I might try and increase the compression with the ZC pistons (not sure if i need to get aftermarket rods if i do though i would like to protect my investment)

But please feel free to give your thoughts on the whole thing as I am definately going N/a due to gas prices and yea probaly due to the easyness of finding D-series stuff sticking with that than going with a Bseries not to mention its cheaper.
Thank you
John
By Greasedmonkey
#57780 An NA Sohc wont net much power, but its a fun motor to have. You can use teh ZC pistons on the stock rods. The stock honda ignition will be just fine for the motor. You dont really need to get the MSD. You will however need a very nice header. which will not be cheap. You can grab and exhaust kit from K teller and a magnaflow muffler and it will flow nice and be quite. Its what I have on one of my hatches, and what will be put on the other. I would suggest you get a cam and valve train while your doing the head work.
By Classiccarsrule85
which transmission do you have? Did it come from a Del Sol S or Si

Well i can choose between the ex trans already installed in my cx or I have the Del Sol trans I am unsure which one is best to use.....

And a cam Ive been researching looking for a good one to use on the street thats not to aggressive to cause my gas mileage to go for a loop.

And I probaly should of but I have yet to research prices on having a machinist do his thing on the block and head (acid dip it or what ever they do balance the crank, etc....) Could somone give me an idea of how much this will set me back?
Thank you
By Classiccarsrule85
#58064 Well then i might keep my ex trans however im just wondering if there is a difference in the del sol Z6 trans ??

Also anyone have a good resource to hear exhausts ive been looking and really only utube has it for the most part and half the time its not really what im looking for. Wich there was a site to hear them before i put it on since i am hoping to get a key tone with it.

Also wondering if anyone knows which cam is a better application for street and some racing (auto cross mainly i go to the strip to tune) the skunk 2, crane cams, Toda or crower? any suggestions on which one? or is there a different one?