N/A build discussion
By motoxash
#353434 anyone using itbs on there car im looking into fitting them to my d16z6 im just woundering whats the power gains like
By EconoBox
#353441 What do you use the car for?

I only ask this because really think about it before you dive into an ITB setup on your daily driver. It takes time and money to get them right, but on a built naturally aspirated motor the throttle response and sound cant be beat... oh and to top it off they are tuneable to your engine (Runner angle, length, and size can be customized when ordered).

ITBs look fantastic and are extremely functional for squeezing the last bit out of a built naturally aspirated setup. Think E85, 14.7:1 compression, huge camshafts, custom header, stand alone management, big fuel injectors. On a single cam without a lot of work there will be gains but I don't think the drawbacks would be worth the expense. I would not spend the money. I know OBX makes the cheap TWM knockoffs and yes, they do work once you change out the hardware to make them safe to use. Just read below so you know what you're in for.

You WILL lose the ability to use a map sensor for tuning, because they they build no vacuum. You WILL have to have Hondata or another stand alone management system. You WILL have to be dyno tuned to make use of the top end power gains, and you WILL be spending time with your tuner on the street working on drive ability issues. If you have A/C it will really drop your idle if you use it with ITBs it may even be enough to stall the car if you use it while idling since there is no IACV to compensate automatically for the increased load. You will need a vacuum log of some sort to pull whatever vacuum you can to keep your brake booster functioning. Also because they allow more air all of the time and its distributed evenly to each cylinder you can gain power through the entire powerband with a correctly designed set. You will also get much much worse fuel economy.

Now if you can live with the drawbacks for a daily driven car then ITBS are awesome and even on a stock D16Z6 just the sound will be pretty cool.This is a good read for you.
http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/htup-0905-individual-throttle-bodies-installation/
By suspendedHatch
#353451 Expensive
No real power gains
Not street friendly
Requires engine management and proper tuning