N/A build discussion
By 92civicEGsedan
#353309 So I'm making plans for a future build on my d15b7 after I swap my z6 into my eg8.
I'm looking to get a a6 cam regrind not sure on all the specs for it cause that stuff just Flys over my head. As the motor sits now it's a stock b7 with the head shaved .100 which bumped my Compression to 12:1 it's in need of a serious tune haha. I'd like to get longer rods to bring the r/s ratio up.i wouldn't mind destroking it to be able to put longer rods in and machining the Pistons to bring down the compression height. I'd also like to knife edge the crank and have it balanced.

Mod plans
Stronger and longer rods
.5mm bigger low compression pistons to compensate for the longer rods
Possibly a shorter stroke crankshaft to allow for longer rods If needed
Knifed edge crank shaft balanced
Crank scraper
A6 regrind
Port and polished the head weld and reshape the bowl
5 angle valve job
Lightened flywheel
Removing powersteering
Full exhaust
Upgrading to ITBS
Switch from wires to coils using AEM
Titanium valve spring retainers
Bronze valve guides
New bearings
Arp head studs

I'm not looking to build a high horsepower engine just building a fun motor that can Rev a little higher then the stock b7 so when I finally find me a hatchback shell I can drop it in. I've drove a couple high horsepower cars but my eg8 with my b7 is by far the most fun car I've drove but my b7 will keep up with 5.0 foxbodys lol and it will put you back in the seat and it surprises my friends. So what do yall think of my plans so far. Any machine work will be done by me or my dad at his machine shop.
By teal_dx
#353335 I'm all for seeing somebody build something besides the usual SOHC z6 or y8, but why not just build your z6? Bigger aftermarket support as well as reusing other oem rods. There's also people who have built a stroker D16 using D17 internals.
Not saying D15b7 can't be done, just might be a little harder to source parts. :thumb:
By suspendedHatch
#353344 To be honest you never really see any internal engine builds here. The good news is that this forum is hungry for it. The bad news is that not many people here can give you much advice.
By 92civicEGsedan
teal_dx wrote:I'm all for seeing somebody build something besides the usual SOHC z6 or y8, but why not just build your z6? Bigger aftermarket support as well as reusing other oem rods. There's also people who have built a stroker D16 using D17 internals.
Not saying D15b7 can't be done, just might be a little harder to source parts. :thumb:

the z6 is going in my 4 door and I'm looking for a hatchback to put the b7 in and I'm needing the eg8 is gonna be the family car since I got twins on the way and the z6 is freshly rebuilt and plus everyone builds z6 and y8 like you stated and I like being different
By 92civicEGsedan
suspendedHatch wrote:To be honest you never really see any internal engine builds here. The good news is that this forum is hungry for it. The bad news is that not many people here can give you much advice.

Well this one will be a good one to follow I just need to get around to swapping engines so I'll have the b7 out it will begin all internal machine work will be done by me except balancing just doing alot of research right now
By 92civicEGsedan
#353351 What's yalls opinion on machined aluminium rods? My dad's boss is getting a few cnc machines and I've taken a few cnc classes at the college so I'd be able to use it on the weekends when they don't work and make a few custom parts.
By teal_dx
#353356 I'd love to see how you make your own :thumb:
Rods are such a crucial part though, seeing constant stress form the motor.
Personally, I'd pay for rods backed by a reputable company's research & development.
I'd CNC a less crucial part that everyone could see, since it would be the only one that existed. I've seen a CNC machined valve cover on a B series and it was the show piece of the engine bay. What about doing something like that for a D series? THere's the usual stuff like radiator bracket & battery hold down too, but a valve cover would be awesome and you wouldn't have to worry about those parts handling the stress of the motor.
By 92civicEGsedan
teal_dx wrote:I'd love to see how you make your own :thumb:
Rods are such a crucial part though, seeing constant stress form the motor.
Personally, I'd pay for rods backed by a reputable company's research & development.
I'd CNC a less crucial part that everyone could see, since it would be the only one that existed. I've seen a CNC machined valve cover on a B series and it was the show piece of the engine bay. What about doing something like that for a D series? THere's the usual stuff like radiator bracket & battery hold down too, but a valve cover would be awesome and you wouldn't have to worry about those parts handling the stress of the motor.

I already made the battery hold down when I was taking the class lol
By teal_dx

:thumb: :thumb:

Here's a link to that CNC'd valve cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locash-CNC-Bill ... 1779966893

I wish I had access and the know how to a cnc machine. I'd never leave the garage 8)
By 92civicEGsedan
teal_dx wrote:

:thumb: :thumb:

Here's a link to that CNC'd valve cover: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Locash-CNC-Bill ... 1779966893

I wish I had access and the know how to a cnc machine. I'd never leave the garage 8)

Good lord that would cost so much just for materials, I also made a velocity stack.
By 92civicEGsedan
#353516 What do yall think about dual weber carbs? I'd like to stay away from itb tuning even though it would be the same thing but I wouldn't have to have electronics to tune it.