N/A build discussion
By tom023
#346702 I originally had in mind a h23 swap but due to the strict regulations on engine modifications in Spain it looks like I will not be doing it anytime soon. This leaves me with the d15b2 as a daily driver.

I'm going to keep it n/a (hence why I post here) due to the spanish laws. Where do I start on the engine when looking for power gains out of the d15?
I've researched the forum and there is a lot of answers but I'm not understanding a lot of it. I know how to repair cars to stock but have little knowledge on modifications/ecu tuning and how individual parts affect the overall outcome.

What is the first step in modifying this little 1.5? simple bolt-ons? engine internals? mini me swap :cruisin: ?
By jap-society
#346735 I have the same problem here in Belgium, stupid laws :x

I'm not going to do an engine swap or mini-me for now, engine still runs strong and doesn't use any oil.

First thing I'm gonna do is swap the intake, put a multipoint on from a D15B7 and put on my supersprint header. Maybe add a cold air intake later on.
I think that will add a little more power.
By bietelboer
#346737 In Holland, there is a possibility to do a re-check by the Dutch automotiveblabla and if you pass the test the car will be street legal with the new engine.

Don't you have something like that is spain?
By bietelboer
jap-society wrote:I have the same problem here in Belgium, stupid laws :x

I'm not going to do an engine swap or mini-me for now, engine still runs strong and doesn't use any oil.

First thing I'm gonna do is swap the intake, put a multipoint on from a D15B7 and put on my supersprint header. Maybe add a cold air intake later on.

You guys are screwed big time when it comes to changing anything on the car :(
By tom023
#346740 It's crazy over here... I can't even legally put 15'' wheels on my civic seeing as on the paper work it says it came stock with 13's. Yes you can go through a process of "homologation" for modifications to vehicles in spain but depending on what needs to be done it can be a nightmare. For something like an engine swap I would need an engineer to write up plans then have it built, taken to a sort of testing laboratory so they accept it (for "safety" reasons) and then get the modification written on the paper work of the vehicle. All of this costs a lot of time, effort and dinero. [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif]
The way to get around it would be to internally modify the engine so shiny fresh parts can't be seen upon vehicle inspection, or mini me it and nobody experienced would know. Put it this way, when I get coilovers for my EG, before I fit them they will be painted 100% black so they look "stock". :x

How far can you go modifying an engine before it needs a tune? I/H/E and thats it? (finding a tuning place here could be complicated... :headscratch:
By tom023
jap-society wrote:I have the same problem here in Belgium, stupid laws :x

My wise old man said about putting multipoint injection on it and a larger diameter throttle body...

hmm...
By jap-society
bietelboer wrote:You guys are screwed big time when it comes to changing anything on the car :(

All depends, anything before 1996 is pretty easy. Don't need paperwork for everything, only suspension. For a car from 1996 or younger we are pretty screwed, need paperwork for almost everything. That's why I love my EG :thumb:
By jap-society
tom023 wrote:It's crazy over here... I can't even legally put 15'' wheels on my civic seeing as on the paper work it says it came stock with 13's. Yes you can go through a process of "homologation" for modifications to vehicles in spain but depending on what needs to be done it can be a nightmare. For something like an engine swap I would need an engineer to write up plans then have it built, taken to a sort of testing laboratory so they accept it (for "safety" reasons) and then get the modification written on the paper work of the vehicle. All of this costs a lot of time, effort and dinero. [smilie=BangHead.gif] [smilie=BangHead.gif]
The way to get around it would be to internally modify the engine so shiny fresh parts can't be seen upon vehicle inspection, or mini me it and nobody experienced would know. Put it this way, when I get coilovers for my EG, before I fit them they will be painted 100% black so they look "stock". :x

How far can you go modifying an engine before it needs a tune? I/H/E and thats it? (finding a tuning place here could be complicated... :headscratch:

Wow, you guys have it even worse then us then :shock:

A tune is always recommended after some modifcations, I would suggest you install everything at about the same time and then get it tuned.