N/A build discussion
By Scottyboiboi
#346142 Hello forum, i have a question in which i hope can be expanded on. I want to know the ins and outs of going for power but staying n/a. I know a few basic things like cams, high comp pistons and so on so forth but i want to really dig deep into this. In a few years time i will be re-building my b16a2, i want to use it for drag and track use but also keeping it as my daily. If anyone can lend me some knowledge on this area it would be greatly appreciated. Or even if there is a thread similar to this question could someone direct me?
By foxgearshift
#346265 the N/A is something i dont really know much and i whould really like to learn more about it, here what i have tryed my self maybe it will help both of us to understand it better ive had a complete SPOON jdm long block B18c, as far as i know the only spacial thing on that engine was the cams and the 2 layer head gasket, i have used it with a tuned SPOON ecu that i bought with it. AEM cai and spoon header along with 2.5" down pipe, after the break in i took it to the dyno to see how much whp i have on it and it was around 215whp the car drives nice and reliable on the street, after a 2 years of abusing i had floating valve issue and broke every thing on that engine, the only thing was still good was the cams so i bought another JDM long block over bored it to 81.5 and installed cp 11.5:1 pistons and got me sk2 complete exhaust system (still with stock intake manifold) and s300 for the tune and guess what i got 211whp out of it!! then i switched to edle brock intake and got extra 2 whp thats it :D

my idea was getting a little biger bore and little higher comprassion piston will give my a better whp with spoon cams but it didnt! i cant understand why really now i am planing on trying something else maybe 85mm block, 11.5:1 pistons, ls crank shaft, custom cams, skunk2 ultra street intake and 70mm throttle body i hope it goes well this time :roll:
By Scottyboiboi
#346270 215whp is pretty good for keeping n/a. Sad to hear that the engine broke though, did you ever take it onto a quarter mile? In your experience do you think it was worth spending the money to get the power you got?
By foxgearshift
#346272 I never took it to the quarter mile but the car was really fast, if i would do it again ill just buy the cams, rebuild the engine and tune it that way the cost will be much less, it dipands really on what you got in mind if it is simple n/a setup you can just get pro1 cams or tuner stage2 and digree them on a stock block, you will gain good power that on a b18c but for the b16 i am not sure
By Scottyboiboi
#346302 Ye i ain't looking to do any crazy set-up just some basic things i should change to get the most out of the engine. cams, tune up and high comp pistons sounds like a reasonable place to start. Do you reckon putting bigger injectors in would be a good idea or is that really just for going turbo?
By m578elb
Do you reckon putting bigger injectors in would be a good idea or is that really just for going turbo?

the injectors on b16 i think they are 240cc, maybe give you 220 bhp with a proper tune!, if you don't wanna go over that don't change them.
By JUICE
#346310 Race gas. :twisted:

Get a tune for pump gas for daily driving and a race gas tune of some sort for the track. You can make some significant power gains with it but you will need to upgrade pump/injectors.
By foxgearshift
#346314 If its just a simple setup better replace the injectors but if you go wild then dont forget the pump, and yes race gas :twisted:

I dont think it will be a much of diffrence but try it :thumb:
By Scottyboiboi
#346315 Would be happy with 220bhp, especially with an empty shell minus seats and and engine. power to weight ratio would be great.

I had a friend recommend race gas to me before but to be honest don't know anything about it really, would an engine be happy to support 2 different types of fuel?
By Fada Blayne
#346326 A stock block b16 with simple bolt ons can yield good power. A friend of mine recently got his tuned and made 184whp 117tq revving to 9k, it may not sound like a lot but for the average driver that's sufficient imo. His mods are:
Itr intake mani with port matched 70mm tb
Buddyclub iv cams
b16b headers
2.5" piping to spoon n1 exhaust
440rc injectors and walbro 255 fuel pump
Itr 4.7 tranny

All things considered he didn't spend much, did simple upgrades and made good power.
By Scottyboiboi
#346347 That's good power for what was done. I'm feeling quite hopeful of achieving good gains without spending any crazy amount of money.
By Apexi22
#346348 Have you considered Meth injection with pump fuel?
I tried it a while back on my B20 VYEC and picked up 7 degrees extra timing at WOT.
Made some extra ponies on the dyno but the response was amazing.

I used about 5Litres of pure meth for 3-4 weeks driving and I used the car daily to work
By Scottyboiboi
#346352 That's really good mpg, much better than normal. No i have never thought about doing that but i have never heard of anyone doing that before, don't even know if that's available in the uk:P
By Apexi22
Scottyboiboi wrote:That's really good mpg, much better than normal. No i have never thought about doing that but i have never heard of anyone doing that before, don't even know if that's available in the uk:P

This is the kit I used, would start progressively pumping Meth at about 5000rpm and then gradually increase all the way to rev limit

http://www.alcoholinjectionsystems.com/ ... index.html
By Scottyboiboi
#346372 Looks interesting. How easy was it to install and set-up? did you have any problems when running it?