N/A build discussion
By a4m1r
#35987 cant afford a teg, or type r or even a B! so any of you build (n/a) a d15b, what parts etc did you use urm dyno figures? (might be a dumb question but am allowed as am noob :D )
By 0p71mu5pr1m3
#35989 You're not going to get much out a naturally aspirated D15, let alone D series. Your best bet would be either an LS (b18a or b18b) swap, or possibly a d16z6 swap. Either way you're not going to make much power naturally aspirated.
By teal_dx
#36003 I don't think that he meant the D15b7, but the JDM D15b which is pretty much a 1.5 L version of the D16z6.

But like you said... a N/A SOHC motor is going to require more $$$ than it is worth. (cam, adj cam gear, high compression pistons, intake/exhaust, and a better flowing manifold is a start, and don't forget to get it tuned)

Not saying it can't be done, but in the end you could boost it for the same amount of $$$ with much more powerful results.
By bietelboer
#36008 N/A power will cost €€€... :lol:

I have some N/A stuf done to my Z6, it cost me about 900€ and im 19hp up...haven't even started with the internals...
By suspendedHatch
#39343 I have the OBD2 D15B which has the two VTEC solenoids. Only engine mods I have are an ebay CAI with an AEM dryflow filter, DC 421 header, and a custom exhaust. Oh, and an AEM EMS that I've had on several cars for the past 4 years. I made 119hp @ 7000 RPM at the wheels and 99ft/lbs. That's pretty good for a basically stock motor with all second hand parts (very little $$$).

Motor was $600, LSD tranny was $600, clutch/flywheel was $400, ebay intake was like $20, filter was around $40, header cost me $100 (re-used from previous project), exhaust piping and muffler was like $200 (re-used from previous project). AEM EMS cost me $1200 when I was a tester way back when they just came out. Power output isn't my highest priority. I'm building a well balanced street car.

My goal for this motor is 180whp or whatever I land at when I throw a small turbo on there. So far the stage is set for whatever may come. I love SOHC's for street, but if I ever want to go fast I'll get a GSR motor for my DA and go from there. A trusted source tells me that the D series internals start to break around 250-ish.
By k0rean4life
#44727 If you want to build a SOHC dont get a D15B. Try to find a D16Z6 or build a mini-me also 1.6 ZC can me quick also.

The comparison of a 1.5 to a 1.6 SOHC is like comparing a 1.6 to a 1.8 DOHC. I had a built D16Z6 in a full interior EG and use to walk I mean WALK away from B-series. For how cheap they are to build they are pretty cool
By suspendedHatch
#45485 There really is no difference in power between 1.5 and 1.6. Maybe a slight slight edge in torque. You have to compare similar motors. The USDM 1.5 liters are all non-VTEC, and the USDM 1.6 liters (after 91) are all VTEC. So it's better to compare the power between a JDM D15B to a D16Z6 since essentially they're the same motor but with just a .1 difference in displacement. As I said, there's no conclusive difference in power.

The 1.5 has a better r/s ratio so theoretically, you could rev it higher. What r/s ratio means is how much the pistons are pushing up and down vs against the sides of the cylinder bore.

If you were dead set on sticking with a D series and wanted to make serious power, I'd suggest the D16A6 with a big cam. Just keep in mind that the D series has weaker internals than the B, so it's better suited to people who want respectable power in a light weight and economical package.
By k0rean4life
suspendedHatch wrote:There really is no difference in power between 1.5 and 1.6. Maybe a slight slight edge in torque. You have to compare similar motors. The USDM 1.5 liters are all non-VTEC, and the USDM 1.6 liters (after 91) are all VTEC. So it's better to compare the power between a JDM D15B to a D16Z6 since essentially they're the same motor but with just a .1 difference in displacement. As I said, there's no conclusive difference in power.

The 1.5 has a better r/s ratio so theoretically, you could rev it higher. What r/s ratio means is how much the pistons are pushing up and down vs against the sides of the cylinder bore.

If you were dead set on sticking with a D series and wanted to make serious power, I'd suggest the D16A6 with a big cam. Just keep in mind that the D series has weaker internals than the B, so it's better suited to people who want respectable power in a light weight and economical package.

Exactly... the motor doesnt have torque to start with. Trust me just build a mini-me or get a D16Z6. The only good numbers out of 1.5 i have seen are from weber carbs.
By suspendedHatch
#46843 I don't know what you mean by "exactly" after reading my post. D15B makes 102 ft/lbs at 5300, and has the best torque curve of any D series motor. Arguably the curve is better than the B16. The D16Z6 makes 106 ft/lbs at 5200. That's a whopping difference of 4 ft/lbs AT THE PEAK. On the D15B the torque comes on early and stays there. You have to see the dyno graph to understand. On the D16Z6 the torque is peaky.

If you want torque, turbo the fucking thing or get a 2.2 liter.

Carbueration is the worst downgrade you could do to an EFI Honda motor. Why on earth do you want to drip fuel down a dry intake manifold? It's not going to atomize. It's going to stick to the walls of the manifold until it pools up. Are you going to boost a carb motor? You might as well put screen doors on a submarine.
By Blackdeath159
#58956 If you do upgrades just do the right ones!!! No offense to all the people that upgrade motors and only get like 5 hp after $5000. I mean you no disrespect, please dont get mad but you people need to think why?!?!? Listen, if yr going to build a single cam, i recommend the D15B vtec, don't forget to upgrade the damn ECU!!! and i don't mean upgrade to an annoying p28. i mean chip it, hondata or AEM($$$). when i got a d15b vtec on my cx i was running a silly little p28 and i dynoed my car and got 109 whp so i was ok with it, but when i upgraded my cx ecu and added vtec and chipped it, NO KIDDING!!!!!!! 122WHP!!!!!!! i swear to u all cuz i didnt believe it either but we ran it 6 times and that was the highest cuz the lowest was the last run with 119 whp. But just do it right and you'll have a bad ass civic. i can care less for 700hp cuz i autocross and hp isn't everything. sorry for the long post