N/A build discussion
By JacquesB
#317117 Hi Guys

I have this urge to just start modding the living crap out of my stock standard B18B3 motor. Now the guys here in sunny South Africa has a lot of opinions about what to do to the motor(engine, sorry SA English) and what would be a waste of time. So now i want to hear for the guys that drive these baby's everyday, because mine is a daily runner, what they would start with by getting some extra KW(HP) and what the big no no's would be to avoid.
My car at the moment is a stock standard (only induction kit) B18B3 1800cc, at the moment it is a joy to drive her in town because even with the silly petrol prices here in SA she gets about 7-8lt/ 100km so that is good considering it is a 1800cc with 347000km on the clock. But I also have to mention that I drive her like a grandpa and she only gets ripped to the redline when there is a young lad with either and Opel or VW next to me trying to judge the old girl...(I DO NOT CONDONE STREET DRAGS) But that is only once in a while, all I want more is that pull in the top end gears 4-5th and to get more "punch" out of her. I do not do high speeds because she is very low to the ground and in SA we are known for the potholes so never go over 160km/h (sorry that sounded like a pantsy but I am an advance driving instructor for Audi 4rings in my spare time so I get my fix on the track)

I just want you guys to more or less give me an idea as to what will work best and what the first options can be, baring in mind that I want to do the installation myself as I want to learn more about the detail of the inner workings of the engine. I have basic understanding and is not completely useless when it comes to looking and working on the engine.

Any suggestions in your mind as to teh above???
By blk92hb
#317267 you said you got and intake thats a good start, a catback exhaust and a header will help alot too. another thing you could do is swap the transmission with a itr, b16a, or gsr trans, so you can get a quicker acceleration. that will make the car feel faster with out dropping alot of money.
By asianrob
#317301 since you have that motor. i would freshen it up with a tune up wires plugs and rotor/cap. water pimp and T belt, Brian crower valve springs and retainers and cams/ cam gears with slightly bigger intake manifold and 65mm throttle body. and a decent header. and exhaust. should be pretty good power

just some thought. since your car has some miles on it. ( for those of you who dont know thats roughly 215K)
By bks84
#317442 I would look into cams and valve train, header and intake manifold.

If I were to build an LS I would use Crower 403 or 404's, their springs/retainer kit, Skunk2 manifold and something like an ITR header, have it tuned by someone who knows what theyre doing and it would be a fun car.
By #ROBIN#
#318211 us guys in South Africa is offended by this post Jacque :cry: ... heres a few guys who ran a b18b3 and who has built a good n/a build.

craig at gasworx b18b3 ran strong till 8200 rpm

full head work and cams, 63 mm exhaust with a crappy branch.

thats his build, my build was going to be...

-b16a pistons
-full head job
-cams (this is up to you and your budget)
-forged conrods
-good big ends, mains etc
-balance whole running asse,bly (crank etc)
-buddyclub head gasket
good header and exhaust
-itb's
- odds and ends
-tune it at a good tuner

but got something better so didnt go through... you can defintaly build a strong b18 non vtec all depending on your money, and how it performs is only as good as the tuner :wink:

good luck and next time ask locally first as the guys abroad dont know that we cant just get skunk2/buddyclub/spoon etc off the shelf like they can , and its way more expensive here...so we have to make do with using parts from motors found locally (which is not a bad thing) unless you have a money tree somewhere then your options are unlimited (invite me to your house and we can build a tree house :D )

blk92hb says fit a transmission from an itr- not impossible, but where you going to find one in South Africa where we only have three itr's in our whole country? so we go for the b16 g/box, chicken teeth here and if you find one its probably pulled through someones a-hole... so you buy a final drive (R5000) and you sorted, fix your box up while you at it (if you have a few extra $$$ then get a lsd), viola you have a nice strong g/box and free'd up some torque

sort out your suspension, you can do all the above but will be spoilt by not getting this new found power to the road.

so your urge to just start modding, should be started by sitting down and planning or speak to your tuner before and he/she will help you plan as he/she has experience.

Happy tuning buddy...

:thumb: