N/A build discussion
By Fada Blayne
#312938 What's up guys, it's been a while since I've posted but that's as a result of me being jobless and I haven't been able to even touch my car. However I've still been researching wat parts I'd like to use as well as wat would be the most practical for my setup.

For years buddy club products have been frowned upon for all the wrong reasons in comparison to skunk 2 but yet they are still doing well in every as a rising company. Now the question is, what cams would you rather invest in and why?

I'm sure we have a ton of skunk2 users on here but where are the bcers, I don't want this to be a one sided discussion..

Plz note that I have used pro 2's in the past but I'm seriously considering trying somethingdifferent but is it worth it
By bigpunn421
#313095 http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1214810

is the holy grail for jrsc setups ^

most people find the itr exhaust with gsr intake to be the best for jrsc setups.

if it were up to me i would run stock cams and invest into water/meth kit, lht intercooler, supercharger porting before i would consider cams.

the itr ex cam is a great mod but the lht is alot better. plus they port the mani and s tube for free.
By Fada Blayne
#313101 Funny enough I've been looking into meth kits myself.

Sold the sc tho but it's a good thing I did because it was no good :eh: fortunately for me the person that I sold it to was the same one I had originally purchased it from. Don't know wat exactly happened but supposedly after putting it on and dynoing he only made 140whp and bare in mind his setup originally yielded 205whp all motor. It was unfortunate but im glad im not the one that got burnt.
By Fada Blayne
#313102 But back to the topic, I was reading that the buddy club cams has a much smoother curve throughout the whole powerband vs the skunk 2 cams especially in the low-mid range. That's kinda where I want to make my power, not really planning on revving past 8000rpm. If I have to do that to beat whoever im racing my car ain't ready.
By bigpunn421
#313134 oo sorry to hear about the jrsc. some n/a setups can beat a bolt on jrsc. it all depends on your budget.

heres a couple good write ups on cams

http://ftlracing.com/dynamiccr.htm

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2244468

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modificat ... honda.html

i need more info on your build to suggest the best cam. cams also kill mpg. so if its a daily you might want to consider that.
By Fada Blayne
#313174 Everything is in my build thread, but here I'd wat I'll be running:
B18c1 block
Stock Ls crank
Manley LS rods
12.5:1 JE pistons
B16 head
Buddy Club Valvetrain (springs and retainers)
Skunk 2 pro manifold
Etc.

Those links posted were very informative, thanks.

And that's one of the things I'm keeping in mind, practicality as well as fuel economy. I want power but I'd also like for the car to last. I know it all bills down to your tune and overall abuse but you get the picture.
By bigpunn421
#313406 if its going to be a street car i would say ctr or itr cams. people make good numbers

if it will be weekend car that you dont need good mpg and reliabilty go with stage 3 cams.

but most cams see more power in higher rpms. if you have a ls block you dont want to rev 9k for daily driver
By Fada Blayne
#313523 I need at least 200whp to "hang" with my boys lol type r cams are nice but almost everyone I personally know/knew with them upgraded or want to upgrade.

I'm planning to have it be my daily for a while and I want it to last, but in the same breath I don't think I'd be happy with the numbers I'd get with the type.r's.

Not planning on revvingpast 8-82k
By bigpunn421
Fada Blayne wrote:I need at least 200whp to "hang" with my boys lol type r cams are nice but almost everyone I personally know/knew with them upgraded or want to upgrade.

I'm planning to have it be my daily for a while and I want it to last, but in the same breath I don't think I'd be happy with the numbers I'd get with the type.r's.

Not planning on revvingpast 8-82k

if you need a daily you better reconsider your build.

daily driver = reliable with good mpg

high compression and loopy cams = not reliable with bad mpg

you have to choose.

example: whats more important 10-20hp from 5k+ or something reliable? 15mpg or 30mpg?

if i were building a daily driver i would build it for reliablity and mpg. thats just me but what else do you want for a dd?

if i were building a car to have for a weekend car that i didnt need for a dd i would thow v tec killer cams in there and bump compression even more with good gas

your going to have to give and take if you want both for a car. its like haveing a all season tire. for both winter and summer they suck in both winter and summer.

so a car for dd and fun will always have to compromise. which isnt a good thing.

if i were you i would buy a dd and build your ls vtec for fun/weekend car. then you will be happy with the power and wouldnt have to cut corners as much.

if you want to have fun and have a reliable daily 2 cars is the best option
By bks84
#314104 why/how were BC products frowned upon when compared to Skunk2? I havent ran across threads of people accusing BC of running flat, or gouging rocker arms. Skunk2 stuff, I have.

I've ran BC4's in my first b20. made 215/14x. ran a 14.007@107 in my integra. pretty sure i could get better than 25mpg out of it, if i were nice to it.

my most recent experience was with skunk2 pro2's, ran out of power at 8500. real simple build however, didnt expect much more out of it.

how does high compression and "loopy" cams yield a less reliable engine?

sure, MPG can suffer when swapping out cams. But, if you build the engine correctly, with a combination of parts that work well together and make the engine more efficient, then you wont loose too much.

in fact, my buddy used a full line of Endyn parts (cams, pistons, rods, head word) in his NA B20V build, made 24x/15x and averaged 29mpg (in a CRX).
By bigpunn421
bks84 wrote:why/how were BC products frowned upon when compared to Skunk2? I havent ran across threads of people accusing BC of running flat, or gouging rocker arms. Skunk2 stuff, I have.

I've ran BC4's in my first b20. made 215/14x. ran a 14.007@107 in my integra. pretty sure i could get better than 25mpg out of it, if i were nice to it.

my most recent experience was with skunk2 pro2's, ran out of power at 8500. real simple build however, didnt expect much more out of it.

how does high compression and "loopy" cams yield a less reliable engine?

sure, MPG can suffer when swapping out cams. But, if you build the engine correctly, with a combination of parts that work well together and make the engine more efficient, then you wont loose too much.

in fact, my buddy used a full line of Endyn parts (cams, pistons, rods, head word) in his NA B20V build, made 24x/15x and averaged 29mpg (in a CRX).

if you can proove to me any of the things you said i would consider them. i posted facts

cams allow more air in, so more fuel is needed to achieve stoich

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=3063524
By bks84
#314316 What exactly am I supposed to prove here? BuddyClub4's and Pro2's idled like stock, so unless they were in VTEC I wouldnt consider them "loopy". I was speaking solely on experience, which is why I didnt post link after link after link to support my claims.

The Primaries on both the cams profiles I used were relatively close to OEM ITR cams, so their MPG out of VTEC would be similar.

Again, what am I supposed to prove?

That link you posted in your quoted message to me was a 2 month old thread where people said no to BC/Sk2, but said to go w/Crower cams and was in the K Series section on HT...
By Fada Blayne
#314419 I've personally daily driven a Gsr daily with pro 2's and it was fine. I do understand where you are coming from but im leaning towards wat bks84 is saying.

I do however appreciate your opinion.
By Apexracing
#314425 I dont have a ton of experience with buddy club, But the parts i do have on my ep3 i like. Great build quality. I hear nothing but good stuff about crower cams. But if your going to start working on the head, have it ported and polished first. Along with new valves. Then add your springs and retainers. And if your really interested in some get up and go, swap out that ls trans.
By Eg6H2D
#317779 Kelford Cams FTW!!!!!! or BC Billet are now a Hot cam touse!!!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: