N/A build discussion
By egcivic117
#309225 Please I need help I just bought a eg with a ls vtec swap in it with a b16 head.but the guy I bought it from shaved the  numbers off(he said he didn't want anyone to know wht he was running) so I have know idea what the block is.is there any way I can identify what block it is.like through the ecu or something like that.or at a tune shop.please please help.
By bigpunn421
#309397 sounds like its stolen. in ny if you have something like that thats not good
By chrono404
bigpunn421 wrote:sounds like its stolen. in ny if you have something like that thats not good

x2

Sounds alot like a Stolen engine. If in washington state and your car has to pass inspection you will loose your car if you have your serial numbers shaved off your engine.

The only place on the block I can think of that gives casting marks is on big tag next to the transmission as shown in this picture:

The head has casting marks showing when it was cast, however that wont help you as the head has been swapped.

Since its a LS-Vtec, double check and make sure the oil pump and water pump have been changed, as in different colors from the block. If not replace them and put on a new GSR Timing belt.

I believe there is some etching spray that police use that can be sprayed onto the block and they can see what was there. Since your engine is very possibly hot it might be good to get it from someone who is not police. On the flip side you might want to see if the engine has been stolen and if so get who ever sold it to you arrested, the down side of this is you will loose your car and money put into it.

Another tip, Most tuning shops in washington, will call the cops and have the block checked if its stolen if it comes in. Not sure where you live but just want to keep you informed.
By bks84
#309415 I know on b20 blocks on the bottom side theres usually a P3F on a flat surface near the back of the oil pan (back side of engine, trans side).

I guess crawl under there and see if you can find anything like that.

If its present, it should say P75 or PR4...
By josh93coupe
#312972 Just wondering, why would some one grind off the b18a1/b1 if it was stolen? There is 100 million b18b1s in the us and they all say b18xx there
By chrono404
josh93coupe wrote:Just wondering, why would some one grind off the b18a1/b1 if it was stolen? There is 100 million b18b1s in the us and they all say b18xx there

Under where it says "b18b1" it has the Serial Number of the engine
By SkunkDcivic
#313017 if you wanna tear the whole block down theres an engine code where the crank is