N/A build discussion
By HondaEGhatch
#302654 Okay i have a d16y8 motor in my hatch its gonna be my DD so i was wondering would i be able to build it up? i was thinking about 200-250hp if thats to much just tell me! kinda still a noob on the whole building a motor up!
By teal_dx
#302658 You might as well boost it if you're looking for that kind of power :thumb:
You'll spend a small fortune getting there with naturally aspirated and end up with a super high compression engine.
By SkunkDcivic
#302667 You'll put more money in making that much horsepower all motor then to turbo it plus 250 hp on a d16 boosted is fine I highly doubt you'd go past 10 psi
By chrono404
#302678 Going turbo will be easiest way to get 200-250hp out of a D16. You WILL want forged Rods at that power level otherwise your engine will be a ticking timebomb waiting for the OEM Rod bolts or your OEM rods to fail.

Turbo d16's are cheap(relatively speaking) and easy to work on. D parts are also a good deal cheaper than B and H parts.

Another thing to remember even when the engine is built up. At 200-250hp with out an LSD Transmission you will have a VERY hard time catching traction, ESPECIALLY if you live in a northern US states. Even with an LSD unless you have warmer weather it will still be hard to get traction on street tires. In Washington slicks are not Road legal.

Seeing my friends with high hp hondas fail to put down their power most of the year was one of the factors for me buying my Subaru WRX Wagon. Its AWD lets me put my power down all the time including when its pouring down rain. Having over 250-300hp in a FWD honda, especially
without LSD, will be very unsafe in slick conditions.

If its often cold or wet where you live, it might be worth looking to do an AWD setup or at the very least, get an LSD put into your transmission. When its open getting better synchros and stronger gears are a good idea.

This is something most people don't think of when they build up a car. Making power is so easy when you compare it to putting that power down to the ground. Good Luck.

Another idea if you want to stay with lower power would be to put in different gears. M Factory makes different gear sets and final drives.

My JDM b20 with a LS transmission will be slower then a D16z6 with an EX transmission. However bolt up a b16 transmission and the shorter gear ratios let me beat up on GSR swaps. It will smoke b16's like breakfast. Point of the story is that gear ratios effect how fast your car is. Going to a shorter gear ratio will allow your car will be faster without making more power. Just another thing to consider when building up your car.
By HondaEGhatch
#302708 well i thought it be cheaper to go all motor but ill do turbo now can i get a list what all i need for motor and prices? thank you very much
By PhantomEJ1
#302853 Well since I'm in the process of building a y8 I would say I have done EVERYTHING N/A and I don't think 250 without a turbo won't happen. Im hoping for around 180 to the wheels. There is a lot of stuff involved in building it right. I'm already in to about 3000 and I still need trans parts, s300 and tune etc... If your going to do it do it right and safe so you will have with the car for a long time and not worrying about it blowing up.