N/A build discussion
By Gunni
#278767 so i got a stroked b18c6, knife edged b20z crank , eagle h-beam rods and toda pistons,

problem is it keeps spinning main bearings, the former owner of this motor took it to a machine shop for assemble and ran fine at first but does not last for long.

i took it apart and first i notice the crank is rubbing one bearing cap and one thrust Washer is eaten up and the other one has a crazy clearance , i also notice the thrust washers on the b20 crank is in the middle but on 4th cap on the b18 crank,

so..
- is it a good idea to use the b20 crank in a b18 because the miss placing washers, at all??. (i did use search and it all said it drops right in)
- did it need some modification before installing it in??.
- is the crank it self shit ?? (from cx motorsports)

i had the block measured up and it is ok .. so before i reassemble it i need advise on what is the better way to do this.
- fix the crank and install it again
- go to stock crank again
- buy a Prius

any advise.
By RWMIII
#278771 If it were me I would go back to an OEM crank. They can handle some decent power.

As for spinning bearings like that, it sounds to me like a mixture of an out of balance crank and you said it yourself, there is crazy clearance on one of the bearings. So someone did not understand the importance of using the correct size bearings during assembly.
By poorman type-r
#278783 Don't buy a Prius!!!!!! :shock:
By chrono404
#278796 Im sure the b20z crank isn't perfectally balanced after being knife edged.

The b20b/z crank is 100% Identical to the B18b Crank.

On the Type-R Cranks they are machined and perfectly balanced. Honda didn't go into as much effort on the non-type-R engines. Even more so on the Torquey b18b and b20b/z. When Running a non balanced Crank with a Type R Crank shaft pulley you will go through rod bearings pretty quick. Its quite possible the prevous owner has swapped out crank shaft pullys to a Type-R one.

Either have the clearances fixed, other wise put in a B18c (GSR) crank or another (b18b) Crank. I would also recommend putting on a Normal b18b/b20b crank shaft pully. It will be heaver however very possibly will stop eating main bearings as the crank is more balanced now.

x2 on buying a pruis, They suck, I had one as a Rental car when my car was in the shop after a car wreck. I hated every moment having that car.
By Gunni
#279156 im not under standing this "tune" of his.

if my measurements are right then the rods, stock v.s eagle, are the same, and the pistons are same diameter (80,5) only the toda ones higher . so thats not stroked at all ... right ??

and it also had a lighter flywheel and pully, can the problem with all of this started there.
By Greasedmonkey
#279197 Well, if it is indeed a B18c of some sort, with a B20z crank and rods then there is your stroking. The B20 crank has more strock than a GSR/ITR crank.