N/A build discussion
By Fada Blayne
#237806 As the topic states I'm building a 1.9L all motor gsr. Dropped it off @ the machine shop today. I have one main concern tho, I have 12.5:1cp pistons and I'm using the ls crank. With such a high dome and long stroke am I at risk of damaging anything? Someone I know said I would and someone else said I'd be alright. So wats the opinion of u guys? I did my research and my setup should be safe, but these mixed opinions have made me skeptical. Let me know wat u think. :thumb:
Last edited by Fada Blayne on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
By That One Dude
#237819 When you assemble the engine, put clay on the valve reliefs and rotate the crankshaft through several full rotations with the fully assembled head bolted down temporarily. When temporarily attaching the head, use the old gasket and the old head studs and just tighten them snug enough to where it won't go nowhere.

If the piston contacts the valve, at least you'll know before you start it up and fuck up the engine you just spent months building and countless dollars on.
By That One Dude
#237820 But to answer your question, I don't know if they will work perfectly. Did you get pistons designed for the B18B/A? If so, then they ought to work.
By Ajax1989
#237821 are you boring out the motor to a 1.9 or storking it to a 1.9
By That One Dude
#237825 My bet is that it's going to be bored and stroked. Simply putting the LS crank in there will only get the displacement up to 1834cc, versus 1797cc with the GSR crank.
By Ajax1989
#237826 ahh ok, i was like how is a 1.8l crank in a 1.8l block gonna be stroking it
:lol:

i cant wait to see this build :thumb:
By Fada Blayne
#237851 Idk if they are for gsr or b18a/b. They were in a ls block before for I'm assuming they're for the ls, even tho I've read that it don't matter.

The motor is being bored to 81.5mm.
I won't be able to try that clay trick seeing that all the work is being done @ the machine shop. But ill take tons of pictures!!!!

By the way would I be able to somewhat prevent it hitting by possibly using a thicker head gasket? A good friend of mine basically told me to not buy the cometic ones because they blow way too easily when compared to an oem one. The OEM lasts up to 2 years and he has "never" seen a cometic one last that long. I believe him because he builds motors professionally as a side job. But I am aware that he could be wrong.
By AutoXCivic
Fada Blayne wrote:Idk if they are for gsr or b18a/b. They were in a ls block before for I'm assuming they're for the ls, even tho I've read that it don't matter.

The motor is being bored to 81.5mm.
I won't be able to try that clay trick seeing that all the work is being done @ the machine shop. But ill take tons of pictures!!!!

By the way would I be able to somewhat prevent it hitting by possibly using a thicker head gasket? A good friend of mine basically told me to not buy the cometic ones because they blow way too easily when compared to an oem one. The OEM lasts up to 2 years and he has "never" seen a cometic one last that long. I believe him because he builds motors professionally as a side job. But I am aware that he could be wrong.

Is the machine shop assembling the entire engine after boring it out? Have them clay it for you when they assemble it. Well if they are any good they should check the clearances to make sure everything will work before the button everything up, but you may want to check with them just to make sure.
By Greasedmonkey
#238567 What are the they exact parts you are using in the build. What are the specs on the pistons.
By poorman type-r
#238575 Why not get aftermarket rods so you can rev to 8-9k?
By Fada Blayne
#238647 Im using 81.5mm JE high compression pistons with Manley Rods.
Yes a machine shop will be doing all the work and i will most def ask him to look into claying the motor for me.

As for the head it will be pretty much factory besides the ferrea valvetrain im getting.
By Greasedmonkey
#238699 What are the manley rods for, LS or GSR? to use the crank you need the LS rods stock or aftermarket. GSR rods wont work. The pistons just need to have the right compression hieght and cc dome/dish so that they dont pop/poke out of the cylinders.
By Fada Blayne
#238724 I bought the b18a/b spec rods. But I thought once u went eagle,manley,etc it didn't matter :?
By Fada Blayne
#238726 I'm also worried about cam selection. Would I be risking a valve hitting a piston with stage 2's since the piston dome is so high?