N/A build discussion
By cjw_89
#233860 bys i ordered one that time at napa for $12 he asked what temp i asked whichis best he said 195 ... Is that right? b18b1 non vtec not modded...
By asianrob
#233896 it will be alright it'll take a little longer for it to warm up.
By rtegra92
#233925 i have had experience on this, i know this post is a little late, but i guess ill throw it in anyway

if you remove your thermostat your engine will fry to DEATH. Not stay under operating temp

coolant is a heat exchanger, flame front and friction in engine create heat absorbed into engine head and block

the coolant is in there to absorb the heat from the sleeves block and head
then when thermostat said youve had enough it opens and goes to the radiator to cool off.

Jonny Hammerstix comes along and rips out the thermostat

there is now no resistance to coolant flow through the engine,

coolant moves so quickly through the engine the heat dosent have a chance to exchange into the coolant,

coolant is left cool and heat generated by the engine stays in the engine
frys to Death, very warped heads
By Fada Blayne
#255112 Good thread, I can honestly say that I've learnt something.
By Elaurian
#258007 i better get the oem stats then. thanks
By elrompetoto
rtegra92 wrote:i have had experience on this, i know this post is a little late, but i guess ill throw it in anyway

if you remove your thermostat your engine will fry to DEATH. Not stay under operating temp

coolant is a heat exchanger, flame front and friction in engine create heat absorbed into engine head and block

the coolant is in there to absorb the heat from the sleeves block and head
then when thermostat said youve had enough it opens and goes to the radiator to cool off.

Jonny Hammerstix comes along and rips out the thermostat

there is now no resistance to coolant flow through the engine,

coolant moves so quickly through the engine the heat dosent have a chance to exchange into the coolant,

coolant is left cool and heat generated by the engine stays in the engine
frys to Death, very warped heads
times 2 :thumb: :thumb:
By jrhdominos
#269407 Wow, this should be a sticky lol..."Why to not run your car with no thermostat"....
By 1-low-92-EG-Sedan
jrhdominos wrote:Wow, this should be a sticky lol..."Why to not run your car with no thermostat"....

x2

def. learned something thanx
By 1ACarlos
#269496 Definitely a bad idea.
By goodyearrr
teal_dx wrote:these stats were mad for a reason in mind.. for a purpose to cool things down.
Lower air intake temps can increase power. lowering the coolant temperature too low is not going to do the engine any good in terms of power.
If your engine is heavily modified or boosted, running a cooler thermostat can help reduce pre-detonation, which can help prevent some major wear & damage to your engine. On a stock or mostly stock motor.... don't bother using a cooler thermostat, especially if your engine is running hot. That would be a bandaid instead of finding the real problem of why your engine temps are hot and fixing the real problem.Honda designed their motors to be the most efficient at operating temps, so unless it's a heavily modified engine, let your motor do it's job as engineered :thumb:

x2 perfectly said!
By sidneypp2003
#275555 nice thread... i got something here... thanks guys