N/A build discussion
By 93hatcheg
#217656 so my gsr is a 82mm bore with b16a replica pistons giving it 11.3:1 compression. i was gonna do 11.6 but its still gonna be my daily driver so 11.3 is enough

i want to know if the spark plug temps get hotter as the number goes up or down??

also what temp do you think would be best for my set up? i was reading temp 7 is best for b-series vtec but i saw that someone said temp 8 was better for HC but was a cooler plug?idk??

let me know what you would do thanks :D :D
By That One Dude
#217966 IMO, and I'm no spark plug expert, 7 should be plenty. The B18C1 came stock with ZFR5F-11, a 5 on the heat range. 7 is "colder" than 5 in NGK plugs. It's "hotter" in domestic plugs like Champion, or Autolite. Neither of which I would even put in my lawn mower...
By 93hatcheg
#220986 so is a colder plug better for more built motors or is hotter? im askig because i need plugs for my 11:6:1 CR gsr thats pretty much built and on inlinefour the temp 7 plugs are like 50$ as where oem ones at kragen are $20
By That One Dude
#221006 With an increase in compression comes an increase in heat. Colder plugs dissipate heat into the head faster than hotter plugs, minimizing pre-ignition. Go with a set of 6 range plugs and see how the engine reacts. Same price as the OEM at my AutoZone.
By 93hatcheg
#221118 ok cool i will try that. so what your saying is having a colder plug on a motor thats creating more heat is better.

ok do you by any chance know exactly what plugs those are or what numbers they are, if so i will go buy those a temp 6 should be sufficient if stock is 5
By That One Dude
#221153 ZFR6F-11 is the part number for the copper plugs. Since I'm assuming this is your daily, I'm also assuming that you won't be racing a whole lot, otherwise I'd say get some platinum plugs.
By 93hatcheg
#221195 yea whats the big difference between the copper and platinum? i will prob buy platinum if it better. this motor is going to be a daily driver but more of a daily play car then a car that is depended on.
By That One Dude
#221205 Platinum is a lower resistance metal than copper, allowing for a more intense spark, but it also produces a shorter duration spark. Better for top end, high RPM driving, but not for putting around town. At least in our cars where the factory plugs are copper core. You could try the coppers and try the platinums, but you might not feel a difference. Only way to tell is on a dyno. Still though, you won't see much difference in power output. If any.