N/A build discussion
By forcefedEG
Greasedmonkey wrote:you will need machine work on the stock b18 rods as well. the small end needs to be shaved done to make thinner.

is that to clear the R pisons? im jw, ive never heard that b4?
By That One Dude
#190501 Yeah, I've heard that you have to shave the small ends for the PCT pistons. Sucks...
By forcefedEG
#190594 good to know, as i have considered doing this before... but if you balance your rods anyway it shouldnt make as big of a deal tho, because thats where you remove metal when u balance :thumb:

unless you ment on the sides of the rod like were the wrist pins go lol
By Greasedmonkey
#190787 You will need to do it with ALL R pistons. Its nothing special. Its been done many times.
By forcefedEG
#190834 yea, i know exactly what your talking about :D i used to help a guy out that owns a machine shop... it was a great learning experience... but that was good info :thumb:
By Greasedmonkey
#191030 you will be better off just getting b16a pistons. they are cheaper and easier to use. no machine work needed and they will yeild a higher cr.
By forcefedEG
#191113 yeah i had leand more twards the siR pistons anyway lol... i have a set of them sitting around... i have planed on doing something like this anyway so i can never quite nail down exactly what i want to do... you wouldnt have to mod the rod to put ctr or itr pistons on gsr rods correct?
By Greasedmonkey
#191197 no, you dont have to mod the gsr rod. if you are trying to build a b18a/b for all motor there are a few ways to do the bottom end. all depend on budget. what are your goals?
By That One Dude
#191222 Well if you're wanting to build an LS engine, and you already have a fully assembled engine, don't switch to GSR rods. They're slightly longer which would cause interference problems. You'd have to swap to the GSR crank, too.
By Greasedmonkey
#191534 The only thing you would want from a gsr would be the girdle and main caps. Then you would need to line hone the block to use the LS crank with the added gsr parts. Some other companies do make a girdle for the LS/B20 blocks. Might be easier that way. That will help strengthen the bottom end for higher rpms.

Shotpeen the stock rods and add arp bolts with US b16a pistons and you are set for the bottom end. 11.3:1 CR.
By That One Dude
#191544 You could either shotpeen the stock rods or get aftermarket rods.

ENDYN makes a girdle for the LS block I believe. I haven't been to the ENDYN website in a long time though. www.theoldone.com
By forcefedEG
#191574 im not looking to build any kind of lsv right now... i was just asking because i thought about getting a high comp. kit for my poormans maybe one day down the road.... still undecided tho... i was just asking questions for the sake of getting the information :thumb: