N/A build discussion
By 92dxeg
#185811 OK i have a ls in my hatch i was jw what would the hp in it if i was to full exhuast,intake,and build the head what would i be looking at
By country_civic
#185814 my old 94 eg had a ls with everything you plan on doing at the wheels i got about 163 hp still shitty but 23 over stock if you want real power from an ls biuld the whole engine adn turbo
By forcefedEG
country_civic wrote: if you want real power from an ls biuld the whole engine adn turbo

x2 thats the best route for an ls imo

but if you wana stick with na, go yes... im going to say it... lsvtec... get rods and pistons and get a vtec head... your bottom end components are critical... check http://www.fjdistributors.com you could also get itr or ctr pistons, and shotpeen, balance and do arp rodbolts on your stock rods... that can give you a decent setup and build your head... it would be a good running na b series... but im in no way saying to bolt a head to a stock bottom end,

yes ive bolted semi worked and stock heads, onto bone stock ls bottom ends, i have reved to 8000 to 8500 and not had a problem, but theses engines were never ran on a daily basis and never stayed in my car very long due to my inability to make up my mind... honestly i feel deep down the stock bottom end would fail at some point...
By Sabes
#205859 i'm in the same boat, boost is the only good option for an ls imo as well.
Honestly if you want to go with an n/a and still drive it around daily than pick up a gsr engine, don't get a type-r, waste of money, spend the extra on building the gsr.
You will probably never be satisfied with the ls power output and will kill driveability if you put some big cams in and head work and supporting mods. At least with the gsr you have vtec so you can bum around town all day and still lay down ass woopins.
by the time you do the mods you are considering doing a b16 engine and tranny will still beat yah and you could of sold your engine and used the mod money for a b16( not saying you should get one, just saying for comparisons sake). Save up for a gsr or a turbo. Your call.
By Greasedmonkey
#205901 You can get good power from an LS/B20 motor. It wont be nearly as much as a Vtec motor or LS/Vtec type. There are ALL motor dyno graphs from various builds from stock to wild on honda tech.

All motor non vtec just isnt for everyone. It takes a true fanatic.
By Sabes
Greasedmonkey wrote:You can get good power from an LS/B20 motor. It wont be nearly as much as a Vtec motor or LS/Vtec type. There are ALL motor dyno graphs from various builds from stock to wild on honda tech.

All motor non vtec just isnt for everyone. It takes a true fanatic.

The thing with all motor and no vtec is it kills driveability. Is it still driveable, heck yah. Lopey idles kick ass lol No crossover is awesome too, just nice linear curve right to redline. For realistic high horse na applications on the street though. sometimes vtec just makes sense.
As for it taking a true fanatic, that is meant to be a low blow to many. It is nothing but personal preferrence. You got to keep in mind some people live in places like california where they ccan't get away with a street car and big n/a cams. Are they not true fanatics because the government takes away the joy of n/a monsters?
By Greasedmonkey
#206077 I dont disagree. it takes someone that will be able to live with the idle and the drivability issues. LIke me. My B20 will be cammed. I gave up on my GSR build, and my B20.Vtec build. Needed to get things paid off and the car didnt come first. Now, I will just work with what I have.
By Sabes
Greasedmonkey wrote:I dont disagree. it takes someone that will be able to live with the idle and the drivability issues. LIke me. My B20 will be cammed.

Yah but it is not like it takes a special breed of person to live with that though.

Greasedmonkey wrote:I gave up on my GSR build, and my B20.Vtec build. Needed to get things paid off and the car didnt come first. Now, I will just work with what I have.

I here yah man. I am a young heavy duty mechanic and now i am married and going to have a child at the end of november. Cars have completely taken the back burner

:supergay: