N/A build discussion
By jred
#175489 hi! i have a eg9 SiR with a b16a, should i go NA or TURBO? wich is the best upgrade for that engine?..jus want sumting to put the hurt on sum nissan SR20 guys in my district..thanx
By JUICE
#175496 IMO...

BOOST THAT BITCH! with a conservative tune that motor will handle 200+ wheel horse all day long.. they say the rods are good to 300whp, I'd say shoot for 220 or so and have some fun with it.
By Classiccarsrule85
jred wrote:hi! i have a eg9 SiR with a b16a, should i go NA or TURBO? wich is the best upgrade for that engine?..jus want sumting to put the hurt on sum nissan SR20 guys in my district..thanx

The b16a b18c etc dont have too many good points when turboing....the rods are weak. and stuff like that i think the b16 flows better head wise than the b18c and the itr is the next step after the b16 in the best flow.

to be honest unless you plan on upgrading the internals id go n/a but since you want to put the hurt on those sr20's id have to say upgrade the internals or get a b18b1 ls swap (thicker rods) and do a ls-vtec best of both worlds etc....but yea id upgrade the internals etc if you want to go turbo.
By JUICE
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:
jred wrote:hi! i have a eg9 SiR with a b16a, should i go NA or TURBO? wich is the best upgrade for that engine?..jus want sumting to put the hurt on sum nissan SR20 guys in my district..thanx

The b16a b18c etc dont have too many good points when turboing....the rods are weak. and stuff like that i think the b16 flows better head wise than the b18c and the itr is the next step after the b16 in the best flow.

to be honest unless you plan on upgrading the internals id go n/a but since you want to put the hurt on those sr20's id have to say upgrade the internals or get a b18b1 ls swap (thicker rods) and do a ls-vtec best of both worlds etc....but yea id upgrade the internals etc if you want to go turbo.

the LS rods aren't stronger..... its the compression difference between the B16 and LS that makes the LS better for boost.. with the B16 tuned right its rods can handle just as much whp as the LS's, they're just shorter...
By Classiccarsrule85
JUICE wrote:
Classiccarsrule85 wrote:

So is it then the b18c's rods arent good for boost? i just want to find out if what i was told was right or wrong...

the LS rods aren't stronger..... its the compression difference between the B16 and LS that makes the LS better for boost.. with the B16 tuned right its rods can handle just as much whp as the LS's, they're just shorter...
By chrono404
#175655 B Series Rods are much stronger then D Series.

I would boost it. I am seriously playing with boost on my EK Hatch with a B16 in it.

If you want your honda to go fast? Boost it or spray it.
By jred
#175684 yeah everyones all like sr20 motors are the best honda is shit,but i know for a fact that this little 1.6 liter v-tec "rice rocket" can do wonders if tuned the rite way..ive seen videos where it put the hurt on corvettes and vipers and those things are v8's and v10's..so i dont think a 2.0 liter turbo SR is that big of a deal.....or is it.. or should i sell the b16a fork out sum more cash and do the ultimate swap K20 turbo!!!!
By jred
#175685 Damn jus checked the K20 is a little out of my price range...maybe later on a deal would come my way...but that would put the hurt on a certain SR powered black pulsar, ash greay b13 sentra, and blue rwd lancer ex which have been giving me talks becuz i have v-tec power..the satin black civic will show them......one day.lol.
By forcefedEG
#176359 boost the b16, the motors are fairly reliable, even boosted, tuning is the key, internals are good for hp in the 300 to 350whp max hp range. the b16 has a good r/s ratio. it loves rpms and can handle boost well. i have even seen b16s with rods and pistons making 450 to 500 hp on stock liners. i have seen many claims that stock boosted b16s run with strait type-s k swaps as well...
By Armann
#230321 Nice thread, I have the B16A2, is that the same in the States as the B16A or when you guys say B16A is that the B16A1 ?

I'm thinking about boosting it, want about 250/270hp at the crank, as a daily driver, with a o.k map that should be alright ?

How much psi would I be running with 250/270hp at the crank ?

Thanks...
By jred
#230333 the b16a's without the numbers at the end of it are JDM the one's with the numbers are USDM. IMO its all the same the JDM is jus better cuz its from Japan and it makes alittle more power.

I'll say bout 15psi is gud for 250-270hp on a well built and tuned engine
from my research if your going turbo invest in a proper EMS preferably
a stand alone unit ( Hondata S300, AEM, Haltech, Motech )
Hondata S300 bess bang for buck IMO made especially for Hondas..
i've also heard that the sleeves dont hold up well so you might need to upgrade ( at least in my country cuz its really hot here )
a gud head upgrade doesn't hurt either ( valves, springs, retainers, cams )
Last edited by jred on Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Armann
#230338 Thanks, just read the Hondata s300j Specific Notes.

"PWM boost control cannot be used on a JDM ECU."

Now that would be a problem since it has the JDM P30 Ecu...
By asianrob
#230343 id boost it
and yes the B16's here in the states are a little different

JDM B16's have different cam's and pistons
and supposedly AUTO B16's have smaller cams.
By jred
Armann wrote:Thanks, just read the Hondata s300j Specific Notes.

"PWM boost control cannot be used on a JDM ECU."

Now that would be a problem since it has the JDM P30 Ecu...

i see, maybe a Manual boost controler if you dont want to change ECU
By Luke-esi
#231429 I always heard that the D series are better for boosting, matched with suzuki vitara pistons if you want to run higher power and big boost but having no experience with a turbo'd civic i cant really say