N/A build discussion
By Evo951
#155981 i picked up a EG6 and these are the mods, B18a1 block bore .40 over, oversize ctr pistons, acl bearings, micro polish crank,ctr crank pulley, p72 head,p72 headbolts,proffesional intake manifold,68mm TB, virgin p72 ecu............................. what i have been reading is this set up is very bad news. too much compression?
please give me some input on this, car runs good, little bit of white smoke on starup and if i rev it hard. i have a stock GSR motor sitting, is it jus worth droppin that in? thanks guys
By chrono404
#156033 When ever you build an engine you want to get it Tuned professional. Do Not use a Stock Virgin ECU to run a Built Engine.

The Engine you are looking at has a Compression Ratio of 14.47:1. The pistons would also be sticking .15 inches above the deck of the block.

If you want a high comp LSvtec build you can use USDM B16a2 Pistons on LS Rods.When bored .40 over,It will give you 12.05:1 Compression with a USDM b16a2 head, If you used a USDM GSR(p72) Head it would be 12.35.

Greasedmonkey says you can run 12.1 on Pump gas with good tuning. I read that you will get spark knock, However also read if you move your timing back you can get it work.

I remember reading that you dont want to use the Type-R Cranks as they are not balanced, Becouse the the Type-R Engines dont need to be balancer as they have been internally balanced.. However the normal honda engines do need the balancing Crank.
By Evo951
#156142 yeah this is the setup i have right now, i live in socal so we have pissgas 91 octane, i need to find a good tuning shop
By Greasedmonkey
chrono404 wrote:When ever you build an engine you want to get it Tuned professional. Do Not use a Stock Virgin ECU to run a Built Engine.

The Engine you are looking at has a Compression Ratio of 14.47:1. The pistons would also be sticking .15 inches above the deck of the block.

If you want a high comp LSvtec build you can use USDM B16a2 Pistons on LS Rods.When bored .40 over,It will give you 12.05:1 Compression with a USDM b16a2 head, If you used a USDM GSR(p72) Head it would be 12.35.

Greasedmonkey says you can run 12.1 on Pump gas with good tuning. I read that you will get spark knock, However also read if you move your timing back you can get it work.

I remember reading that you dont want to use the Type-R Cranks as they are not balanced, Becouse the the Type-R Engines dont need to be balancer as they have been internally balanced.. However the normal honda engines do need the balancing Crank.

Type R cranks are balanced. The N1 ctr pulleys are not. They do not have the damper in them like stock pulleys. they are meant for racing. It is very possible, and is done on a day to day basis to run 12-12.5:1 on 93 octane pump gas. Ive even seen someone tune a car with 13:1 on pump gas. Good tuners work wonders, thats why we pay them.

As for the motor thats in the car now, with that set up you will be over 14.35:1 Thats just nutz. and you say your using a stock p72 ecu. Take the motor out, put in the stock gsr, and then rip apart the LS/VTEC motor to see what damage was done to it. No way in hell that motor didnt get messed up. That retarded high compression. E85 or race gas is required with that CR. If anything, take it out, check out and get it tuned on an engine dyno before putting it back in. Dont run that motor on a stock ecu.
By Evo951
#157405 it does not have aCTR crank, it has a gsr micro polish crank, ive been driving it around just fine, lookin for a tune shop, cant find one, socal
By That One Dude
#157419 If you're actually running 14.35:1 CR, your engine is experiencing detonation. If you don't tear that engine down and rebuild it all properly soon, you will do more damage.

That's assuming the guy actually put CTR pistons in that thing. He might have just told you that to enhance the face value. The thing would run like shit unless on 108octane or something similar.

Do like Greased said and swap in that GSR engine as soon as you can.
By Evo951
#157621 yeah imma swap that gsr in abt a month, i drove it 40 miles both way yesterday, i ask the guy , he said it has CTR pistons, i actually smogged it with a new cat and it passed,lol
By Greasedmonkey
#158931 Do a compression test on the motor. Leak down as well. That compression on 91 or 93 is a ticking timb bomb. It doesnt look good for the motor.