N/A build discussion
By Sire
#13413 I'm reading a lot of articles about swaps etc. and what I'd like to know is, what's the best swap for an EG if you want to keep full driveability?

I would like an engine that has the high RPM Hp that we all love so much, but It has to get there quickly too... 8)

I was looking to get a B16, but the more I read about it, the more I get the feeling that some people are dissapointed after having done it... Lack of torque...

Ls/VTEC also sounds very nice, but alas, we don't have these engines in Europe (B18b) so it would be hard getting parts for it... So it's not an option.

Then there's the H22a, which aren't that expensive, but how hard is it really to do the swap, and what about the reliability? And you gotta love the 200 Hp right out of the box... :woot:

And the B20, I absolutely don't know anything about this engine except that it has a lot of torque? Can you get swap kits for this setup? How's the aftermarket support...?

B18c...maybe?

I hope that you guys can give me a couple of pointers here, on what is the most sensible choice for a daily driver, and the most practical...One thing I do know: it's going to be all-motor, whatever the choice will be...
By ChicagoMike
#13415 There's pro's and cons to every motor. All of the above that you mentioned can be reliable, power producing machines, if you choose your parts wisely. IMHO, if you want a great drop in motor, go with either the B16b (CTR) or B18c (ITR), they're both high revving, LSD equipped, fun to beat the piss outta, engines.
By Sire
#13490 Not a big fan of the H22? Or is it to much work... And the B16b, does that have a lot of torque too?
By ChicagoMike
Sire wrote:Not a big fan of the H22? Or is it to much work... And the B16b, does that have a lot of torque too?

Nothing bad to say about the H22. :thumb:
If torque is what your going for, you need at least a 2.0 liter. If fun, spirited daily driving is what your going for, CTR or ITR all day!
By -EJ1- COUPE
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:
Sire wrote:Not a big fan of the H22? Or is it to much work... And the B16b, does that have a lot of torque too?

If torque is what your going for, you need at least a 2.0 liter. If fun, spirited daily driving is what your going for, CTR or ITR all day!

H22 ftmfw :woot:
By ChicagoMike
H22+LSD-EJ2 wrote:
AddictiveAllMotor wrote:

H22 ftmfw :woot:

I knew you'd be chiming in eventually!! :wink: :lol: :woot:
By Greasedmonkey
#13527 B18c R swap would be the best if you are wanting a stock motor to just drive arround on. they are a blast.
By stefan
#13559 A K20a swap is out of the question I guess?

You know Harko, from Drachten, white EG who had the B18c4 swap in?
Now has the H22a in, holy shit, that thing is fast!!!
We did a few tests, with a stopwatch...
Me and him, 5.8s from 0 to 100km p/h.
But there are a few downsides to it.
It's thirsty, even when not beating it into next week.
It's a cable tranny, I've heard a few guys that can't get into 3rd gear when shifting fast, and once in a while you'll have trouble getting it into fifth.
There is a lot of custom work you have to do, things like the to be replaced engine mount on the trannyside, cutting a hole in the firewall to get the trannycables in, welding in the car to fit the shifter, modifying the midpipe, etc etc etc.

I'd just stick with a 170hp B18c4 from a Civic aerodeck or 5dr hatch (1.8 VTI).
It's quitte cheap when compared to the 190hp B18c6 (ITR) and with a few minor adjustments, you get more hp than a stock B18c6 for about the same price.
It's comes with a tranny with long gears, but it has LSD, you could fit the S80 tranny from an ITR, wich is a bit more fun ;)
That's my plan anyway, but I want to boost it sooner or later.
By Sire
A K20a swap is out of the question I guess?

Yes... :(

You know Harko, from Drachten, white EG who had the B18c4 swap in?

Yes, I've never met him (or anyone from CCH yet for that matter...) but I read his threads on the CCH forum But I never read any experiences so far from the B18c nor the H22 though...

H22+LSD-EJ2 Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:08 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AddictiveAllMotor wrote:
Sire wrote:
Not a big fan of the H22? Or is it to much work... And the B16b, does that have a lot of torque too?

Nothing bad to say about the H22.

H22 ftmfw

And why is that...? :? What is your experience with the engine...?
By -EJ1- COUPE
#13715 i love the h22 the low end torque is what had me. nevermind ive seen what it can do with little work simply bolt ons. the shop that did the wiring on my car they are huge followers of the h22. the owner had his for 3 years boosted on just a head gasket and head studs, 15lbs. it made 415hp and 325 tq can you beat that nope didnt think so..... but thats just my opinion. a k20 would be great but pricey as well as the b18c-r. do whats in you budget and do what you can with your money just make it fast as possible :thumb:
By Sire
#13732 I will thanks for the advice! :thumb:
By stefan
H22+LSD-EJ2 wrote:do whats in you budget and do what you can with your money just make it fast as possible :thumb:

Yup.
IF you have the money you can go out and buy yourself whatever you want.

Some prices in Holland for a swap (excluding the swapping of the motors themselves, you will have to do that yourself or ask a friend or pay someone to do it for you)

B18c4 (also known as B18c GSR), great engine, great value for money, loads of potential.
The VTEC'd B18 if you want to go boost in the future IMO.
3000-3500 euro

B18c6 (also known as B18c spec R), very lovable engine, high revving and the way to go when aiming at n/a power.
4250-5000 euro

B16b, 6th gen Civic Type R motor, an EK9 can compete with a DC2, high revving but not a lot of torque.
At least 4 grant.

H22a, the 200hp strong Accord and Prelude motor, stock revlimiter is at about 7500rpm, low revs.
About 1500-2250 for the swap itself...
And another 2 grant on all the things you need with it, excluding all the long hours of work.
Worth it tho, but you wanted hi-revs.
3500-4250 euro

I'd stick with the B18c4, and put a turbo on it.
It'll run forever and still make about 290-300 hp :)
By ChicagoMike
stefan wrote:I'd stick with the B18c4,

I've always said the GSR was the best Honda engine to boost on. :D
By weaponr82
#19484 Im an H fan but it isnt cheap and it isnt a drop in motor. The gains are huge, and with proper tuning any honda engine will stand up to 8-10lbs of boost daily driven as long as you're not driving the piss out of it all the time. My buddies b18c has lasted for more than a year making 390whp and it had simple things like head gasket, tuning, and good mani and head studs. But if you want tire smashing power outta the box, spend the extra money and do the H22 but do it right like H22+LSD. My stock H22 crx runs 12's all motor and makes 197 to the wheels, 249 with a 50 shot of nitrous. Simple tuning and a good i/h/e and you're good. Unfortunately I had no money left after the swap to do anything else haha! :? my .02
By chnzgoofball
#19995 screw the swap d-series turbo FTW!! :woot: