N/A build discussion
By ChicagoMike
#13399 So last night I'm driving home from work and something just wasnt right. The car didnt feel, smell, or sound right. So when I got home I just parked and left the car alone until this morning. Woke up kinda early, slammed down a few cups of coffee, and went and popped the hood. Right off the bat, the color of the header looked darker than what it should have been. Upon closer inspection I realized that 2 of the 4 runners were cracked at the flange. So I popped off the header and shot down to the shop.

So my tuner looks at the header to try to come up with a plan. After thinking it over he decides that he really doesnt want to just weld it up, we decided to have it sent out of town to a shop called Turbo Elements. Tim, the owner of Turbo Elements, has done a ton of work to my shops drag car. He's built the turbo manifold, done the roll cage, and other misc items, and he does beautiful work.

So now the header is in the hands of an expert welder, and I'm trusting he'll do a fabulous job.

Here's some pics :thumb:

This is the kind of work that Turbo Elements Tim does........

Here's a few of my header. I tried to circle where the cracks are, because my camera sucks at close up shots. :thumb:

The dirty bay with no header.......

This pic is special for Teal DX, he says he's never seen my car dirty. :P

I'm actually expecting to have the header back before Monday, so I'll post up some pics when I get it back. :thumb:
Last edited by ChicagoMike on Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By stefan
#13404 :o

How could it have happened, I guess this is an expensive header, not some china pingpongpipi header??

And do post some pics of how it turns out!!
By ChicagoMike
stefan wrote::o

How could it have happened, I guess this is an expensive header, not some china pingpongpipi header??

And do post some pics of how it turns out!!

Yes, its a hella expensive header, hand made by Danny Tran.

My guess is that the weight of the header is the cause. See I've been running open header for the past few weeks, and there isnt a flange on the header to bolt it to the back of the block, so I think that from just hanging there, the weight snapped the welds.
By Sire
#13412 That sucks man... No warranty..?
Hope everything is back to racing order quick!
By ChicagoMike
Sire wrote:That sucks man... No warranty..?
Hope everything is back to racing order quick!

I'm not gonna bug him about warranty because I dont feel it was his headers fault, it really wasnt designed to be run open header.

The guy that has the header now will take care of things for me, and I'll throw him a lil something for his time. Chances are I'll have it back tomorrow. :woot:
By LaMbErT*
#13425 dude, aye....

Gd nite
By york62
#13429 thats a beautiful turbo manifold...huge too. keep us updated, look forward to seeing what you get? i bet it will be purdy :thumb:
By ChicagoMike
#13444 Turbo Elements is awesome when it comes to making manifolds, he does beautiful work, his roll cages are pretty bad ass as well. I'm pretty anxious to see how my header turned out, I should know something later today. :thumb:
By teal_dx
#13447 I didn't realize how important that exhaust brace under the back of the motor was. I have not been using mine for a while, I don't even think I have one on my motor. I better look into getting one before I bolt on a heavy turbo.
By ChicagoMike
teal_dx wrote:I didn't realize how important that exhaust brace under the back of the motor was. I have not been using mine for a while, I don't even think I have one on my motor. I better look into getting one before I bolt on a heavy turbo.

Yeah, as soon as I get the header back we're gonna weld a bracket onto the back of the header so that we can get it to bolt up to the back of the block. I dont want to play this game again. :thumbdown:
By Greasedmonkey
#13462 Maybe you shouldnt run open header anymore...?
By york62
Greasedmonkey wrote:Maybe you shouldnt run open header anymore...?

haha ya man haven't you learned your lesson :)
By ChicagoMike
york62 wrote:
Greasedmonkey wrote:Maybe you shouldnt run open header anymore...?

haha ya man haven't you learned your lesson :)

I sure have......

Dont run open header without securing it to the back of the block. :lol:
By Greasedmonkey
#13528 I had mine open header for lil over a day..i couldnt take it. Had to get an exhuast put back on. how do you do it?
By stefan
#13829 Isn't it back already??