N/A build discussion
By Greasedmonkey
#12782 After checking some numbers on my lil motor i just swapped in. I noticed it could use a rebuild. But instead of doing that Im looking to get another B18b1 block and do a lil piston swap and add some cams and cam gears to wake it up a bit. Nothing too drastic. I dont want to go LS/VTEC just yet, just something to roll arround in and surprise people with. After thats in, I will take the current block and do with it what I need to make a nice Baster motor.

What I was thinking so far was:

USDM GSR pistons for about a 10:1 CR
Stock rods with ARP rod bolts
stock 3 layer head gasket
Stock head with springs and retainers
Exospeed stage 2 cams
Cam gears of some kind, either SRR (if I can find them) or Buddy Club

What do you think about that?
By ChicagoMike
#12788 I think it sounds a lil sneaky! 8)

The only thing that makes me a lil iffy is the Exospeed cam. I'm a Skunk2 guy myself, but I think you could do a better than the Exospeed, and probably get better gains too. :thumb:
By -EJ1- COUPE
#12792 go with a buddyclub set if you cant get skunk2
By Greasedmonkey
#12805 The cams are going into a LS head. NON VTEC. Skunk2 and Buddy Club dont make a NON VTEC cam. Crower, Brian Crower and Exospeed all make the cams for my motor. The Exospeed ones are just the cheaper of the group.

Im not trying to make huge power with this set up, I just want something Nice and fun while still being pretty quick. the CR is the lowest I can go with out being STOCK and I dont want some crazy CR. Not in this motor.
By ChicagoMike
#12808 You said that you're not going LS-V.....yet. If you plan on putting on a VTEC head in the future, why piss your money away on cams in the first place?? :?

Just get the VTEC head and make more power than you would with throwing in cams in a non VTEC head.
By asianrob
#12809 get some JDM ITR pistons i think they bring the compression to 11:1 close to there so its not too high
By Greasedmonkey
#12831 I can get the exospeed cams for $175. I dont want to go with a VTEC head until I have the bottom end the way I want it. I also want to see what I can do with the LS motor. Ive got it in the car, why not play with it. Its also not wasting money if it is something I want to do.

Ive thought about different piston sets, I dont think I want to go too high with the compression ratio. 10- 10.5:1 is good for the small build that I want. Its also more expensive to get the ITR pistons.