N/A build discussion
By DeW HoE
#127290 ok, ive been searching thru the net for info on how to adjust timing with a AEM cam gear on a d16z6 and i have not come to a conclusion....anyone wanna shine some light here, please?

ok heres the major problem: i jus traded my ls-swapped coupe for a d16z6 swapped automatic eg8, and its fine and dandy but whenever i pushed the gas, its not going anywhere.....i would be stuck in 2nd all the way til it hits 4500 rpm or 35-40 mph......so i decided to check out the engine bay and see whats wrong.....the previous owner installed a aem cam gear with the numbers and arrows pointing to 5 advance....could this be the culprit of my problem?....i will try to get a pic to let you guys/girls know what im talkin about...im bad at explaining things.... :(
By chrono404
#127293 Friend of mine had cam gears on his b17 head, Dont Recall the Brand.
He used a hex/alan wrench to loosen the nuts, then it wasn't hard to adjust the timing at all, just grabbed ahold of the belt and turned/pulled it the way we wanted it went, and re tightened the nuts with the hex/alan wrench once we got to where we wanted to be at.

I dont Believe there was anything special to it. I wouldn't recommend having the cam put forward +5, I would put it back to stock unless there is a Aftermarket cam in there.

I would start there, If the only thing changed is a Cam Gear it was owned by a Ricer who didn't know what he was doing. No need to adjust cam timing unless your boosting, Have an after market cam or are shooting Nitrous. All of which I doubt are there on an Automatic build.

Good Luck :thumb: