N/A build discussion
By OGJaper
#126378 Ok so I'm doing my research and remembered that Brian Crower made a stroker kit for the B16 to stroke it to a 2.0L, all the while I'm researching my B20/Vtec hybrid build. So It boils down to two things, money and reliability...

Which is better?

Brian Crowers kit costs $2238.35 w/o tax/ shipping

I can get a B20 w/o the tranny from passwordjdm for $550+shipping

Now I know for the power that I'm wanting to get (220-240 WHP) I will obviously need to get better rods/pistons/lots of head work/arp studs/chipped ECU (Hondata S300?) if not more. Now looking at the Stroker kit it has much of these things but for $2300+ its kinda like damn. I guess I want input on this as far as cost for cost on the stroker vs just piecing my kit together along with the B20 block. I'm already considering the 84.5 bore and sleeving the block if I go the B20 route. (also I guess everyone I talk to suggested shotpening the rods and using arp rod bolts too)

So what would you guys say, build my kit or buy it? Either way its going to take my hard work and money but I want power with reliability :thumb:

heres the link for Brain Crowers kit: http://www.briancrower.com/makes/honda/b16ab18c.shtml

Side note: I got my front and rear lips on today :thumb: loving how they look.

-OG
By Greasedmonkey
#126492 Either Route will not be cheap.

With the stroker kit you get everything already in one package for a decent price. Sleeve the B16a for bigger pistons and you are set.

For the B20/VTEC you will need to still sleeve it for the over sized pistons, and still have to get all the rods and pistons to handle the higher RPMS as well as a girdle or some sort to help with reliability at those rpms. The block design just want meant for it. The B20/VTEC swap isnt a cheap swap to do. You need to do it right the first time and no go cheap on it. 220-240 is a loft goal, and will take a BUILT motor.
By OGJaper
#126520 So you think dollar for dollar just stroke my b16 since its already a reliable engine vs building a reliable B20vtec? Yeah I did the math and its almost the same price (and I didn't include machine shop work on either). More then likely I think I'm leaning towards the B16 stroker, it just seems simpler all around vs. building a b20vtec (that and most people don't recommend me building a b20vtec since its my first time)
By Greasedmonkey
#126538 if its your first motor, I would say dont do the B20/Vtec. They are not hard to do, it just takes alot to keep them reliable.

Since you have the B16a already, just use that. no need in getting another block.