N/A build discussion
By melloball
#126297 i was wondering what you all would suggest to do for the next upgrades. i've got just the basics, short ram intake, headers, and cat back. so i've freed up the air flow a bit. im not tryin to drop too much from here cause i'm lookin to get a 240sx next spring. just wonderin what you guys would do with this setup and say $500-$600. I've been toying with the idea of a a new throttle body and intake manifold, or fuel rail/injectors. let me know what ya think.
Mel
By eg_turbo_hatch
melloball wrote:i was wondering what you all would suggest to do for the next upgrades. i've got just the basics, short ram intake, headers, and cat back. so i've freed up the air flow a bit. im not tryin to drop too much from here cause i'm lookin to get a 240sx next spring. just wonderin what you guys would do with this setup and say $500-$600. I've been toying with the idea of a a new throttle body and intake manifold, or fuel rail/injectors. let me know what ya think.
Mel

what are your plans for the car power,dd,show,
By melloball
#126446 i guess id say dd. like i said i want a 240, thats for nothing but fun. i also have a real nice ef in the making, thats more show than anything right now. dd with some balls is what im going for, but like i said, my big cash is going towards next year. to refine my question, what part(s) would i see the biggest gain from in the $500-$600 range?
By melloball
#126780 sorry but, please tell me you're kidding...
I would put a cryO2 intake kit on long before i put nitrous on a d16. i do like your ride tho, clean.
By Ajax1989
#126801 i would upgrade your intake mani and throttle body, not much you can do with 500-600 :thumb:
By Mr. Pink
#126810 intake manifold and injectors wont give you much gain nor will the throttle body.

for $500-600 go with a nice cam and an adj cam gear. few good cam manufactures are:

Delta
Crower
Bisimoto
By egsedanguy
#127075 if your really not looking for a fast car but a dd. i would say get some suspension upgrades or body/interior. ya a cam and gear will get you some more power but its not going to be that much of a diff. but its your whip.
By melloball
#128193 thanks for the input guys. how would the cam make much difference?
i know that $600 isnt going to make me go wow when i start it up, but if something changes and i end up wanting to do something with the engine, i'm wonderin what would your guys' first move from here would be. i will not turbo it(i'd rather go B series) so thats not a factor.
By That One Dude
melloball wrote:thanks for the input guys. how would the cam make much difference?
i know that $600 isnt going to make me go wow when i start it up, but if something changes and i end up wanting to do something with the engine, i'm wonderin what would your guys' first move from here would be. i will not turbo it(i'd rather go B series) so thats not a factor.

The cam controls the lift of the valves, duration they are closed, and the duration of overlap. Swapping your cam to a higher lift cam might require some more work, i.e. cam gear, valve spring/retainer upgrade, intake, header, exhaust, modified piston valve reliefs, etc.

Generally, just throwing a cam in there isn't going to help you much if you don't already have some other supporting mods to go along with it.

If all you're willing to spend is $600, you're not going to get very far. Especially considering the fact that with a cam and cam gear come the necessity to tune it properly for best power output. Unfortunately, unlike the B-series engines, you can't dial in your overlap or duration, so you're kind of limited in tuning.

Best bet would probably be get a CAI or SRI, and a cat back exhaust and call it a day. There's your $600 right there...which kind of sucks... NA power is super expensive.

What you could do on your own is port match the head to the IM, the head to the EM, and the TB to the IM. I don't know how much power you'll get out of that, but it definitely couldn't hurt you at all. Unless you get some aluminum in the engine...then you could be screwed... You could also gut the interior to help boost accelleration from weight loss. It worked in my 94 Integra. I gained .4 seconds in the 1/4 mile just from gutting my car and removing the whole AC and PS systems. Add a stiff swaybar in the rear and your car will hug the corners like you would cling to your woman after not seeing her for a year.
By Sentry
melloball wrote:sorry but, please tell me you're kidding...
I would put a cryO2 intake kit on long before i put nitrous on a d16. i do like your ride tho, clean.

Why?

Does speed scare you?
By egsedanguy
Sentry wrote:
melloball wrote:sorry but, please tell me you're kidding...

Why?

Does speed scare you?

i am. i start to shit my pants after 25mph. im to scared to put it into 3rd. :P